Corsair Community

HX750W Current Ratings

Lady Fitzgerald

All the documentation I can find for my new Corsair HX PSU only give the total current rating for the entire PSU but not for the individual sockets. How many amps can each black socket handle?

How many amps can each SATA and periphial cable handle without causing an unacceptable voltage drop?

Jeannie

I've already read the manual (I'm one of those rare people who read manual; I downloaded it before deciding to buy the PSU). All that tells me is the total amount of current the PSU will put out at each voltage. I need to know how much current each socket can handle at 12V and 5V. I seriously doubt Corsair intended for one socket to put out 62A at 12V so do they limit the amount of current per socket with fuses or circuit breakers? If so, what is the rating? Or is the amount per socket limited by the size of the wiring? The modular cables appear to have 18 AWG wire (I haven't calibrated my eyeballs recently), which will just meet my needs, but is the wiring inside the same size or bigger?

I found a website that calculates voltage drop over a run of wire. Even though the 18 AWG SATA cables have more than sufficient ampacity for four drives, the voltage drop for ten drives would be unacceptable. It's not a lot but when dealing with only 5v and 12v, there's not a whole lot to spare.

I still would like to know if each socket has current limiting of some kind. I still find it hard to believe the PSU would allow someone to be able to draw the full 62a from one socket. These things aren't spot welders.

• Corsair Employees
We can only guarantee that each socket would be able to supply enough power for a single fully populated cable (without daisy-chaining other devices). I do not have the exact rating for each socket, but if you send an email to ramguy@corsairmemory.com with your specific questions, we should be able to get you an answer.

Archived