Corsair Community

HX850W and ******** 900 Case

bobmitch

I have the Antec 900 case and an EVGA E758 Motherboard with i7 950. My current PSU (Thermaltake Toughpower 750) is beginning to give me fits. Seems that when I do a clean install of video drivers...my machine goes black on reboot and I have to shut down and terminate all power...then turn back on and everything is fine. This has happened a few times. Then...when I install USB devices like my mouse drivers or Wingman Rumblepad drivers...Windows 7 locks up and with drivers loaded...I cannot use these devices. Have to go into Safe mode and remove the drivers for the device to work again. Talked to EVGA and they even claim that when drivers are loaded...seems to "stress" my PSU and things go haywire. Not only that...but in the last month...I have had a Motherboard, and hard drive go south for no reason.

Now the reason for my post.

I am looking HARD at the HX850. Currently I run each VelociRaptor on separate rails...and my DVD Burner and Blu Ray burner are also on separate rails...which causes a need for 4 separate SATA leads. Then I run the fans in the case (molex) on adapters that let me run off the motherboard. My question is for the 8 pin lead that connects to the CPU. Mu current lead reaches the CPU power on the board with no problems. I have read where people's complaints are that the cabling is too short. Can anyone elaborate? I am going to replace the Thermaltake....before it decides to take everything I have with it. Does anyone have an Antec 900 and this kind of setup?

Thanks

Bob

Defeats the purpose...why scrap a good case just because the cables of the Corsair PSU are too short. There are other PSU's that DO have longer cables. Doesn't make sense to keep pouring money into something I don't need. Where does one find the 8 pin extensions?

Thanks

I've seen complaints about the PSUs made by the same manufacturer as your case having too short cables in that case because the unit is mounted at the bottom of the case. Since the PSUs made by that manufacturer do not get as good reviews and are not really modular, you wouldn't be really gaining anything. Also, Corsairs have a better warranty.

One caveat about SATA power cables in that case; when the PSU is mounted in the bottom off the case, the connectors are upside down. Many people cope with this by mounting the HDDs upside down. Anoter option is to hack the cable. The SATA connectors are easy to remove and reverse with just a jewelers' screwdriver and a pair of pliers but the connector that plugs into the PSU will require a tool designed for removing the pins. If you go this route, you have to be REALLY, REALLY careful to get everything reconnected properly to avoid frying something.

Interesting!!! With my current PSU (Thermaltake)...the SATA cables are not angled. They are just straight on, so with my HDD's mounted right side up...all I have to do is a little twist and they are connected. I was always taught that heat from HDD's dissipates from the top, so I never even thought about mounting upside down. Guess another option would be to use the 4 pin molex and the SATA converters that came with my motherboard.

Bob

Thanks for the "lead" no pun intended. I looked up the product description on a few websites...said that the 8 pin wire was 21 inches in length...that is actually longer than the lead from the ******** PSU. Not sure I would need the extension, unless I intended to run the cord under my board. I'm neat...not sure that neat. Right now the CPU power cord is over my video card...

Bob

Thanks for the "lead" no pun intended. I looked up the product description on a few websites...said that the 8 pin wire was 21 inches in length...that is actually longer than the lead from the ******** PSU. Not sure I would need the extension, unless I intended to run the cord under my board. I'm neat...not sure that neat. Right now the CPU power cord is over my video card...

Bob

Yes, that's what I mean... if you wanted to thread it through the back, you need the extension, no reason not to since your case has holes in the top and sides for cable management.

Thanks...the HX850 was ordered from Newegg this morning. Here's thanking you all for your input. Now I have Corsair memory AND a Corsair PSU. Things looking up.

800D, HX850, Dominator GTs, H50, Airflows... here.

My secondary is running XMS3s and an H50 as well. Corsair got a lot of my money recently. ::pirate::

Archived