Corsair Community

Which speed to use without the fan ?

Vegga

Hi all.

I would like to know a simple question.

I have a 2000mhz 8-8-8-24 dominator gt kit.

If I run this at 1600mhz with 8-8-8-24 400mhz underclocked, can I take off the fan ?

It makes too much noise.

And there is anyway to know ram temperature ?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running this kit with 1.66v (1.65v causes system to crash with prime95 and linx) @ 1805mhz 8-8-8-24-everything else [auto].

Is it safe to run this way without the air cooler ?

I'll try with the fan controller to reach the minimum fan speed to keep my modules at max 120 F or 50 degrees celcius.

What I mean is MEMORY CONTROLLER VOLTAGE. Different MOBO makers and BIOS versions use different terminology for Intel's Integrated Memory Controller, or IMC. The voltage related to this is the Quick Path Interconnect voltage, or QPI voltage. It has a variety of names which is why I asked you to familiarize yourself with the terminology in YOUR manual.

Regardless of the name used, it is the MEMORY CONTROLLER VOLTAGE.

QPI I know what it is :)

Having 3 or 4 names for the same thing isn't a little bit stupid ?

Turns everything much more complicated.

And if the mobo manual was any good there wouldn't be a lot of threads on the internet about several questions.

Motherboard manuals are, really, a joke with the costumer.

My QPI is 1.1v, the same setting as [auto] on bios.

More voltage on this would make my ram more stable ?

And when I raise the uncore multiplier, let's say I have some options on bios

RAM: 2:8 -> uncore 16x (2x8)

RAM: 2:10 -> uncore 20x (2x10)

By any chance do you know what would be the related voltage for overclocking this ? I saw it was supposed to be CPU VTT, but Intel i7 specs say max vtt is 1.35. My bios [auto] settings for it already give me 1.25, so I can't go much further.

Using 2:12 is pushing the uncore too far isn't it ? 24x uncore is too much I guess.

QPI I know what it is :)

Having 3 or 4 names for the same thing isn't a little bit stupid ?

Turns everything much more complicated.

And if the mobo manual was any good there wouldn't be a lot of threads on the internet about several questions.

Motherboard manuals are, really, a joke with the costumer.

Sadly this is often true. :(:

My QPI is 1.1v, the same setting as [auto] on bios.

More voltage on this would make my ram more stable ?

Your voltages at stock are set up for 3 modules. So, when you double the load on the memory controller it often takes a bit of extra voltage to get stability. Try the 1.2v to 1.35v range and test for stability.

@ Yellowbeard

I've been asking and learning a lot from you lately, thank you :p:

this is my cpu-z status

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1009482

I got stable this way, I think this is a good OC for 24/7 use.

Maybe I'll tight the timings a little bit to cover the lost 200mhz on the ram.

You see, the problem going further with a locked cpu is that the uncore and the ram most come together.

I was hoping for a low voltage settings for 24/7 use and finally achieve this:

21 x 200 = 4.2Ghz, I can get this stable but ram must be 2:8, 2:10 pushes uncore too far, but if I could this would be really something because 2:10 with 200 host multiplier would give me 2000mhz on ram memory.

But even on watercooling 4.0~4.1ghz is giving me 80 degrees celcius on linx, even with low voltage like 1.32~1.35v vcore.

4.2ghz for 24/7 use is a little bit too much isn't it ?

Maybe I should try 4.5 just for benchmarking and stay with my little oc 3.7ghz for 24/7.

Do you have any suggestion of what should receive more voltage to get 4.2ghz stable ? vcore ? vtt ? qpi ?

This is my bios template just for an exemple of what are the name of the voltage controls to avoid qpi name issues again lol

Voltage Control

EVGA VDroop Control ( With or without VDroop )

CPU VCore

CPU VTT Voltage ( +0mv )

CPU PLL VCore

IOH PLL VCore

DIMM Voltage

DIMM DQ Vref

QPI PLL VCore

IOH VCore

IOH/ICH I/O Voltage

VTT PWM Frequency

CPU PWM Frequency

CPU Impedance

QPI Signal Compensation

ICH VCore

• 2 months later...
Memory can run much hotter than the system could stand but normally they will run about 10 Deg warmer than the inside case temp. 100-120 Deg F would be a reasonable target range.
I'm running my GT's with extended fins without the fans and I'm idling(3+ hours of basic PC use, web/video) at 38C(100F) on stick 1/low 30's on stick 2&3 and load around 42C(108F) on stick 1 and 2 after about a hour of gaming. I'm going to bump my fans up from the usual 5V/6V to around 7V to keep temps down while gaming. I'm wondering what temps DDR3 would start to fail/damage them(I read around 80C and they start down clocking) or what temps I should increase case fan speeds.

Also the ram are at stock speeds except they are at 1T.

Archived