Corsair Community

ram running way below speed

overclockquad

Hey guys! so i bought some corsair ram, 4 gb

TW3X4G1600C9DHX DDR3 4 GB to be exact, and installed it. its rated for 1600 mhz and 1.8 volts.

but the problem is my computer will not post if i bring it up over 960mhz,

cant even get into bios, have to reset everytime.

heres some bios pics of what i have that runs stable. feel free to resize them mod.

mobo is MSI x48C Platinum

http://i49.tinypic.com/24ery10.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/2i0wu49.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/n3qk2s.jpg

maybe someone can help me with clock speeds or something idk

Thanks!

1600MHz is not the actual frequency. DDR1600 = 800MHz x 2. DDR memory transfers data 2 times per clock cycle.

So, according to your screenshot, 960MHz is DDR1920. Have you been able to install the OS yet?

Also, why are you using 2 different names here? Multiple logins are against forum rules.

i forgot my password witch was the same as the e-mails that i logged it with. couldent edit the old one. idk how to delete it either.

"Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)

Speed DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Cas Latency 9

Timing 9-9-9-24

Voltage 1.8V

Multi-channel Kit Dual Channel Kit"

^newegg specs.

and corsair product sheet says its been tested in motherboards and it should be able to run at 1600mhz.

and yes i installed the os on a dif. mobo with dif ram., bought the new motherboard and ram together and other things among them, but still have old hard drive that is holding the os.

1600MHz is not the actual frequency. DDR1600 = 800MHz x 2. DDR memory transfers data 2 times per clock cycle.

So, according to your screenshot, 960MHz is DDR1920. Have you been able to install the OS yet?

Also, why are you using 2 different names here? Multiple logins are against forum rules.

and corsair product sheet says its been tested in motherboards and it should be able to run at 1600mhz.

1600MHz is DDR3200.

Check your frequency with CPU-Z ver 1.53. DDR speed and frequency are NOT the same. Post screenshots of your MEMORY tab and SPD tab.

That is way off. Check Slot #2. Has your board had issues with memory before?

JEDEC #4 should show 800mhz in the timings table I would think.

If not, time for an RMA methinks.

i dont know if its had problems before as i bought the board and the memory at the same time.

should i de-clock the cpu back to fact. 2.4 and show you what that looks like?!

when i do that the ram jumps up to 1067 (but still cant get it to 1600, wont post if i move it from auto)

Clear the CMOS, and manually enter your timings and frequency.

ive tried to do that, and idk if im entering the timings wrong or what but it wont get post after i do that. if i enter in anything else than "auto" for the ram it wont post...

maybe im entering the clock timings wrong...

what do you suggest i use as the timings

no i dont have the most recent i have the original version that came with it, ive heard flashing bios is a difficult procedure and you can really damage your system if you do it wrong.

and i know the timings are 9-9-9-24 but in my timing screen it shows

dram cas# latency

dram ras# latency

dram ras# precharge

dram ras# Activate to prechar

dram trfc

dram twr

dram twtr

dram trrd

dram trtp

MCH Read Delay (trd)

and 1n/2n Mem. timing

right now they are at

dram cas# latency 6

dram ras# latency 6

dram ras# precharge 6

dram ras# Activate to prechar 15

dram trfc 38

dram twr 12

dram twtr 12

dram trrd 12

dram trtp 12

MCH Read Delay (trd) auto

and 1n/2n Mem. timing auto

ok so i booted from DOS and installed new bios. i now have latest version. went back into bios and tried to get the clocks to work,

http://i50.tinypic.com/30m8m0w.jpg

and clocks were

http://i48.tinypic.com/2yyyw04.jpg

Got this message after i rebooted

http://i45.tinypic.com/2mrdzpv.jpg

so i tried it again with just changing the DRAM timings to 9-9-9-24 and not changing the fsb/mem ratio and then i wouldent post or even get that message.

so now im back to where i started, 960Mhz and DRAM timings r

http://i46.tinypic.com/x4fcpw.jpg

hmmm...

How are you clearing the CMOS?

Bump the memory voltage up 1 step from the 1.79v set now and raise your memory controller voltage to the 1.3v to 1.45v range.

Clear the CMOS again and try adjusting only the timings first. See if the BIOS will let you do that. . If you continue to get failures, get Memtest 4.0 from the link on the left of this page. Test each module for 3-5 passes each.

1) What board do you actually have

2) Is the memory listed on the compatibility list?

3) What does Memory #2 show on your SPD tab

Based on what CPU-Z is showing, I suspect that your motherboard does not like this memory. I don't think it should be detecting the memory as PC3-8500.

my mobo has a clear cmos button, i disconnect power and reset the cmos. i have mem test, but i can only get into it if i can get into post. and also yellowbeard, if i bump up the volts on mem 1 step it goes past 1.8 or whats rated on the mem, it goes to 1.83 i think...

and mjinz i have a MSI x48c platinum board... and Mem#2 shows empty because i have the ram in spots 1-3 so #3 shows the same exact things.

and yes the board supports ddr3 up to 1600mhz

1) Based on what CPU-Z is showing, I suspect that your motherboard does not like this memory. I don't think it should be detecting the memory as PC3-8500.
Actually yes, it should. The motherboard at defaults or after a CMOS clear will be at default speeds and 1.5v for the memory. So, the system must have memory that will boot at those low settings. Then, you adjust it in BIOS. Otherwise, the system would never boot the first time.

my mobo has a clear cmos button, i disconnect power and reset the cmos. i have mem test, but i can only get into it if i can get into post. and also yellowbeard, if i bump up the volts on mem 1 step it goes past 1.8 or whats rated on the mem, it goes to 1.83 i think...

That memory is fine up to around 2.0v but, don't go that high unless it's necessary. 1.83v is fine. Don't forget the memory controller voltage also.

And, check your manual. See if there is a manual way via a jumper to clear the CMOS. Either way, via jumper or the button if there is no jumper, remove the battery and clear it for about 10 min.

That memory is fine up to around 2.0v but, don't go that high unless it's necessary. 1.83v is fine. Don't forget the memory controller voltage also.

And, check your manual. See if there is a manual way via a jumper to clear the CMOS. Either way, via jumper or the button if there is no jumper, remove the battery and clear it for about 10 min.

ok ill remove the battery and push the button.

im gunna try to do the clocks now, should i just do

9-9-9-24 down the list and leave the ones below the first four alone? (i.e. 38-12-12-12-12)?

and what should i make the mem controller volt? and where do i find that, is that the fsb terminator?

Well, even if your motherboard supports DDR3 1600, it doesn't mean it will like all DDR3 1600s. Memory makers like Micron, Elpida, Nanya etc don't make exactly the same RAM.

Could be a bad board, but I find it hard to believe you have 2x bad memory sticks.

Have you tried just running 1x stick to see what it can run at?

Well, even if your motherboard supports DDR3 1600, it doesn't mean it will like all DDR3 1600s. Memory makers like Micron, Elpida, Nanya etc don't make exactly the same RAM.

Could be a bad board, but I find it hard to believe you have 2x bad memory sticks.

Have you tried just running 1x stick to see what it can run at?

no i havent, but where could i find a memory compatibility chart

Archived