Corsair Community

Question about H50 pump connector

Pillu

Hi all,

i just bought some product from Corsair to build my new rig, one of those is the cooling system H50.

I've read that would be better to connect its fan directly to the power supply, so i'm doing that. I've also bought some yate loon D12SH12 after reading some reviews about fans, and i think i'll use one of them instead of the original Corsair fan included with the H50.

I'm wondering if could be better to connect also the pump of the H50 directly to the power supply, and if so, since it is a 3pin connector, i'd like to know exactly what those cables are, i mean which one is ground, which is 12 V and what is the third one; i searched about it but didn't find anything, i just know about fans, there's a 12v cable, a ground cable and a rpm cable, i observed the pump of h50 but i don't know if cables are exactly the same of a fan, i guess so only because i've read that it can be connected to any fan 3pin on the motherboard. Last question, my motherboard rampage gene II only has 4 pin connector, and i don't know how to connect a 3 pin into a motherboard's 4 pin. Sorry for the language i'm not english or us. I would apreciate any help or tip since this is my first building^^

Got also another question if someone is up to reply:

i must install the H50 into a Silverstone case sugo SG04,

and i have to put the radiator on the front, i was wandering if there will be any trouble or risk of leak, since the maximum heatsink height size of that case is 82mm, hoses will do a 90 degrees turn immediately as they are ouside the pump. Unfortunately right after those 82 mm there's the PSU unit (Corsair hx650) so there's no other way about installation.

Hi Pillu,

This is a real coincidence. I am installing an H50 into a SG03 case which is almost the same as yours - it also has the PSU directly above the CPU. My board is also a Gene II. My previous CPU cooler was a Scythe Low Profile unit with a 12cm top mounted fan. It was simply not good enough.

I Googled around before buying the H50 and found a few sites and photos of the H50 installed in the SG03. If you do a search along the lines of 'SG03 with H50", (in your case SG04) you should get some info. The clearance between the hoses and PSU is not a problem.

I'm going to connect my radiator fan to the CPU fan header. The Gene's BIOS will most likely give you a 'CPU Fan error' message every time you start up if you connect directly to the PSU.

As for the pump, it is definitely a good idea to connect this directly to the PSU via a 3 pin fan to 4 pin PSU connector. That way, the pump will be running at full speed.

BTW, you can connect 3 pin (female) connectors from fans to 4 pin (male) headers on the motherboard with no problem.

These Silverstone SG 03 and 04 cases are a real tight fit. Do you have the blower fan? It's an optional accessory. It's a good idea to get one if you can. They exhaust a lot of heat from the NB of the Gene. That gets really hot.

Regards.

Hi Pipdrums,

really thank you for the reply, noone of the Corsair tech support or either someone here answered me so far, after buying like 10 Corsair products, this is really bad.

I got a blower fan yes, and i'll fit it on the upper slot of the case, and probably i will connect it to the CPU fan connector so that i won't get the Motherboard error^^

I got a evercool blower fan, but i sincerely trash it because it was really a bad product. Now i'm waiting the Titan blower fan that will be hopefully better and less noise. I have to say to you that i made some experiment about H50 fan, and if you still have to build your SG03, i would recommend you to use the fan + radiator in the opposite way that Corsair suggest, possibly with a push-pull way. The air coming in from the fan, if you put it on the front fan panel, is very poor. Instead i found a way to put the radiator between 2 fan (yate loon DS12SH) and make them push air outsite the case , i had to work a bit on the second fan to not make it touch RAM and atx 24 pin connector, but now it fit very nicely. About the cooler, you surely made the best choice, i searched for a month which could fit inside the sugo, and found only 2 products + the H50, that obviously will be the best there, even i must say that is a real pain to install. I've changed thermal paste and thermal tape(mosfet) of the NB and SB (mx-3), since we're lucky Gene II will tell us those temperature and i'll post here results as far as the rig is rdy. Anyway i'll connect both fans and pump of H50 to the PSU, i've got the fan controller from Silverstone that with a little work fit perfectly on the 3.5 bay in the front panel, cool looking!

Thank you again for the answer and good luck with your SG03!

I have tried this before in an SG03. It will fit but you put a lot of pressure on the h50 hose barbs/connectors - may be no issue or may aggravate a leak down the road.

The problem with the SG03 is not the CPU cooling, it's the motherboard cooling. In an X58 motherboard, your motherboard VREGs and NB can fry an egg with its temperatures.

Hi again,

I've just finished putting everything together and am now running Prime 95. It's been going @torture test for 3 hours and has not yet gone above 60C ala Real Temp v3.50. I'll leave it running overnight - it's now 23:30 here.

BTW, I set up the cooler with the rad between two Kaze Juni Slim fans which max out at 2000 rpm in a push/pull intake configuration. They just barely clear the 24 pin connector on the motherboard.

Regards.

Question: suppose i connet a 2-pin blower fan to CPU fan connector,

the motherboard will give any kind of error since the pin used are just 2 of 4? i mean using just ground and 12v with no tachimeter cable, will i get any error from the mobo gene II? thanks to anyone who can answer^^

• Corsair Employees

the motherboard will give any kind of error since the pin used are just 2 of 4? i mean using just ground and 12v with no tachimeter cable, will i get any error from the mobo gene II? thanks to anyone who can answer^^

Only one way to find out! If you do get "missing CPU fan" type errors you should be able to disable them in your BIOS.

Hello again Pillu,

My advice is to connect the Pump to the CPU Header. In the BIOS, disable the CPU fan control. This setting will let the Pump run at max, (1400+/-rpm).

Connect your radiator fans(s) to any of the 4 available headers. In the BIOS, enable the Q Fan and the other two chassis controls. I set my Q Fan to 'standard' and the two chassis controls to 'duty'. If you set everything[/b] to disable, it can get really noisy.

IMHO, connecting the blower you have to the CPU header will give you constant startup errors. You can disable the F! message (as mentioned by Ram Guy) but you are going to get an unstable system. I tried doing that when I had the low-profile cooler installed and I had constant dual/triple boots before I could get to the desktop.

Connect that blower via molex directly to your PSU. Also, check out Silverstone's FX121 blower. It's an option for the SG03/4 cases with its own installation space between the PSU and I/O panel. It fits very nicely, is compact and does a really good job of exhausting the heat from the North and South bridges on the motherboard.

I've been running this SG03/Gene II System with the H50 for about one week now. I've done overnight (8/10 hour) Prime95 and even OCCT torture tests every night and my max temps have not gone above 63C. This is good.

Regards

Hey Pipdrums^^

I've completed my sugo sg04 3 days ago, i'm really happy with it, the blower still have to come, but for now i'm using 2 yate 12hs intake for radiator, i had to do a big work about their fit and now i'm running prime95 at 3.8 GHZ with CPU 60 celsius max^^ and NB doesn't go over 58! I changed the TIM on the NB and SB with MX-3, changed mosfet thermal pad, and lapped H50 and also lapped CPU, very good results.

About the blower you're right, since i prepared a 2 pin conector for the pump from the PSU, i'll use that one for the blower, since i switched the pump to the CPU fan connector and saw that rpm are good (1480-1460) as if it is conected directly to the cpu. About the blower i got a titan blower for 1 slot, hope that one will be a good product. I'll soon make a post with photos about my new rig :)

Thank you again for your advices! Now i go to see about the FX121..

Hi Pillu,

Nice one. You have done some serious modding on the motherboard which I wouldn't even think about trying without advice. You removed the NB and SB. How easy is that to do and what does it involve? (I know about applying TIP). I know nothing about removing the NB & SB.

I posted yesterday about my rig - no pics. I'll take some if anyone is interested. I look forward to reading yours when it's posted.

It's really nice to have an i7 in such a small case. These Silverstone cases are a pleasure to use, albeit a tight fit. The H50 is a real 'life-saver' - just way better than any of the low profile coolers I went through.

I see you are running Prime 95 and getting 60C max temps on an over clock @3.8. I'd love to know your BIOS settings. I've been running P95 too but only @stock 2.67. Overnight for 8 hours, I've been maxing out at 63C. I've also been running OCCT. If you don't have OCCT, download a copy. Very serious torture tests.

BTW, I was just wondering where in the world you are. I live in Japan.

Regards.

Hey Pip, i answer you immediately!

About bios, i recommend to disable load line calibration as first thing.

About the overclock mine was sooo easy, just start with CPU level up to I7 965, then simply restart and use TurboV program, raising ONLY BCLK, don't touch CPU voltage (mine is 1.18), PLL or Ram voltage, there's no need to go up with them since the system will be stable anyway. My BLCK can go up with same default voltage of 965 lvl up till 191, and since automatically the CPU turbo will switch multiplier to 21, it will run at 4011 MHZ, even if i recomed stopping at 3800 MHZ for the temperature, fixing lower or at 60 celsius; you can start from 176 bclk as i did and go up while prime95 is runing, step by step (+1), obiously you'll know you're going wrong and too much up if the system crash (lol).

About NB and SB they're really easy to remove but remember you'll loose the warranty of your gene II. just get off the 2 screws of the NB heatsink, the one with the ROG simbol, and then work from the back of the mobo, removing mofset pins, then NB pins, and get out mosfet and NB together, be careful since the heatpipe is connected to both, i have to add that i changed not only the TIM on the NB chipset, but also the one from the first square (that touch the NB chip) to the heatsink upper, hope you can understand what i'm talking about watching the NB. You'll have some trouble removing the TIM asus applied there, is yellow very difficult to clean, be patience! For the SB just need to remove pins from the back of the mobo, remember to remove the heatsink slowly and very carefully.

I recommend you read some post about this job since not only i'm really a newbie about it, but also my bad english can be misunderstood! If you search on google you'll find many things about. Be careful, and have fun!

Get a 3pin to 4pin(molex adapter) with a fan speed monitoring cable, that way you can plug the pump directly into the PSU and still monitor RPMs. Then plug the fan into the CPU header so you can take advantage of fan throttling and reduce noise. This works perfectly and you can set up BIOS fan fail notifications as well for both connections.

http://ehdfca.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pAqIrW7zZVkhafdRCOT7xqWOb2xVWzF45rRa0oLwEp2UXABLgV7yPwYTTpHBnk1OvF4BbZgLqX1UwKRkLepY9I_d7Pu0s2v99/rpmsense.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

:D: i post 3 photos of my lapping work and my H50 just modded fitting clear tubes without a single bubble of air ^^ (some little air is inside as the original H50, could not close the sistem without making it enter at all...)

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu110/nethan2/H50woo.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu110/nethan2/H50lappato.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu110/nethan2/asusgene920lapped.jpg

just posted same photos on corsair h50 club (overclock forum...)

What do you think pipdrums^^? ::pirate::

will post soon images of my sugo :) as the job is done!

:D: i post 3 photos of my lapping work and my H50 just modded fitting clear tubes without a single bubble of air ^^ (some little air is inside as the original H50, could not close the sistem without making it enter at all...)

just posted same photos on corsair h50 club (overclock forum...)

What do you think pipdrums^^? ::pirate::

will post soon images of my sugo :) as the job is done!

In fact, if you would like to do it, please post your work here in our ENTHUSIAST section.

That is an EXCELLENT lapping job. How did you do it?

Thank you very much Yellowbeard, i went from 600 to 2500 grit (without water), after that i've got a special grit actually in a shop that sells utensils to jeweler, it seems like normal paper to me :o: but it did the job. after that i've polished before with a real abrasive polish using hydrophilic cotton and after with a polishing non-abrasive cream with the same tissue material i normally use to clean eyeglasses (don't really know how to spell it in english),

it took like 10-12 hours was my first lapping job and i only read how to do from the net and watching youtube videos for weeks.... i was scared for my new CPU!:bigeyes:

Hey Pip, you know i didn't know absolutely anything about modding, 3 months ago i was unable to build a PC and didn't even know how CPU were made lol, i've only had a LOT of free time to read things on the net asking all i wanted to know.... i'm not braver, just imprudent! Will see how things goes later when the rig is rdy! Need a week or two max :) have fun

Btw Pipdrums, i've read a lot about radiator fans and about how much is important static pressure as my PM to you says. Since you're actually using 2 kaze slim, and those are low static pressure fans, maybe if you like to spend some money, really not many, you can get 2 scythe gentle typhoon 15, i've read a lot about their pressure and low noise, many people for radiators of watercooling systems use those one. Today i modded a bit also the PSU (poor corsair) since i could not control his fan, and is really important to me since that is my main exhaust fan from CPU area and mobo mosfet exc... (you know i'm using PSU as exhaust, with fan facing motherboard on the sugo sg04-h) So i decided to put there a delta 120x120x25 (same as the original Adda fan) and i conected the 3 pin cable of the new PSU fan to the mobo. Obiously it won't be quiet like before but i need it to reach a good airflow inside the case and to try to work in a negative pressure inside the case, since my push/pull is a intake configuration. This way i'll control the PSU fan and switch his power to full when i'm going up with CPU voltage to run prime95 and see the results. Will post results later when job is done :)

Hi Pillu,

Thnx 4 that info but I'm limited to (and happy with) the 12mm fans. Here are a couple of pics of the finished system. Can't really see much due to my 'wonderful' cable management.

Looking forward to seeing your completed build.

Regards.

IMG_0169.thumb.jpg.303b864b0e5c049efa92162bd9d1f1a6.jpg

IMG_0172.thumb.jpg.712a0c1e59d015e3ed62b2b44df4f0b3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived