Corsair Community

TX750W Dead on Arrival

Raiscan

Hello.

I just got my TX750W today to replace an old PSU that wasn't adequate enough. After rigging everything up I decided to try and fire it up, but nothing. After switching the PSU on, the fans on the +12V rail spin on their own and the CPU fan light turns on, but does not spin (it sort of twitches slightly). The PSU fan does not spin.

When I attempt to turn it on, things go very 'blinky'; the MB power light blinks, the case power light blinks, the Graphics card's power light blinks green (or red if I have GPU power unplugged), and sometimes the CPU fan spins. The PSU fan remains not spinning, but also seems to very slightly twitch.

While being underpowered, my trusty old PSU worked before. I have yet to try it again.

Any ideas?

Edit: Tried the power on with paperclip method, with a fan controller plugged in. fan controller turns on, a couple of fans run REALLY slow and a third fan twitches. PSU's internal fan also twitches.

Edit2: Okay, now I'm REALLY angry. I've put my old PSU back in and now the PC won't boot. All lights turn on, but no post beep and CPU fan gets stuck at full speed. Checked connections and everything. Corsair, what have you done to my PC?!

Did you upgrade any other components at the same time as the PSU upgrade?

No other components were upgraded during the upgrade of my PSU. On initial test, fewer peripherals were plugged in than usual but that's about it.

Have you tried resetting the BIOS via the CLRTC jumper on the motherboard?

I have. Unplugged, removed battery, moved jumper to and from reset position. Reinserted battery, plugged back in, attempted turn on. Exact same as before.

I don't have the money to replace ANY components in my PC; the purchase of this particular PSU was a hope to increase efficiency! I need this PC for work; I'm in my final year for university. What am I going to do? :(:

Edit: While I'm waiting for a reply, I did a few extra checks. Best case scenario is the motherboard is dead; I don't have the resources to test CPU, RAM and GPU. I tried the CLRTC jumper again just to be sure, and removed the mobo from the case to get a better view. No visible damage, so I am now highly certain the TX750W has caused this and not human error. :mad:

Since I received no useful information from Corsair, I instead went to the place I bought it from (ebuyer) and received a refund. They also replaced the motherboard (everything else seems to be fine) free of charge.

I am still disappointed that I received a PSU that was in such a state as to blow my motherboard on arrival, so I am a bit unsure as to whether I will purchase from Corsair in the future.

Ouch, this is a scary story. :eek:

I have just applied for an RMA on a TX750W I too installed as an upgrade in reliability. I got it as a present (December) and waited until last week when I got a Blu-Ray Burner before installing them both.

(I was going to use my 3 year old PSU as a Tester PSU as I seem to have become the IT guy for all my Family and Friends; and my older tester PSU isn't capable enough anymore. That was to have the new, vastly overpowered but Quiet TX750W for my main Rig.)

By the way, this power supply is really manufactured by CWT (Channel Well Technology ) and branded for Corsair. (I wonder if the editors here will bleep this out!) The reviews I read all said "This is a great 750 W power supply". I too was surprised it failed right out of the Box but hopefully the RMA pain won't be too deep.:confused:

The reviews I read all said "This is a great 750 W power supply". I too was surprised it failed right out of the Box but hopefully the RMA pain won't be too deep.:confused:

This is what really disappointed me also; I read great reviews and it had everything I wanted (whereas Corsair's rival did not). I bought it, it caused problems, and then I went on the forums and I saw the flipside of the coin with people and their nightmare problems. I suppose we just got unlucky but it makes you wonder what's up with the QA for these power supplies.

I've also got a Corsair VX550W PSU in a Gamer box for my son. It has been flawless. But I guess the QA wasn't the same at CWT (the manufacturer of both PSUs) this time. :(

Now I'm more :evil:. The ship to is out of the country (in California) and not local like the Distributor NCIX told me. It cost me $30.33 to UPS it to Corsair. I hate paying for the mistakes of otherss!:rant::rant::rant:

• 3 weeks later...

In an uncanny bit of serendipity, I had just returned to this thread to complain it's been almost 3 weeks since I sent the unit back, and the Doorbell rang. By the time I opened it the UPS guy was already back in his truck and there was a box with a new TX750W inside. (At least it looks new being shrink wrapped and all...)

I hope it works well for at least the 5 years of Warranty.

Archived