Corsair Community

CM@x1024-6400 I've read a bit of it here and thought dang.

chopsuey25

So after doing a search here for the cm2x1024-6400 with timing of 5-5-5-12 i realized it is not in production anymore. Great. So just acouple different questions i did not find answers for.

1) I have seen some posts where people bought the new updated version of it with timings of 5-5-5-18. They came and posted problems with it and were told to change some settings in the bios such as 800mhz to 667 mhz i believe it was and some other modifications. Is going from 2gb to 4gb and from 800mhz to 667mhz worth it in the end? Dumb question - is changing from 800 to 667 to trick the mobo or is it actually downgrading the memory?

2) Are there any other modules i can purchase that will give me the 4gb and keep the speeds up?

Thanks for your time

Going from 2 modules to 4 modules doubles the load on the memory controller. So, many users will have to slow the memory frequency as the memory controller cannot handle the load at that same speed.

4 1GB modules are your only option in DDR as there are no 2GB modules available that I am aware of. But, you need to check the limitations of your MOBO/CPU combo.

http://www.corsair.com/products/xms/default.aspx

After doing the compatibility test with my motherboard which is the gigabyte Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L (rev. 1.0 maybe 2 not sure) (cant include cpu can i ?) it shows i can run the Q2X8G6400C4DHX DDR2-800 (DHX2-6400C4) 8GB Kit (4 x 2GB) which is more than what I'm asking for but still the 800mhz.

So looking at the it seems i can have 4 1gb modules running at 800mhz. So then i should be safe getting the new version of the cm2x1024-6400. Though you cannot guarantee compatibility correct?

Wierd, for some reason I read your post wrong and thought you were running DDR, not DDR2. Sorry about that, I'll have more coffee now.

You can easily do a 4GB kit or an 8GB kit. The 8GB kit "should" run at DDR800 but it will be determined by your individual boards memory controller.

If you want 4Gb or even 8GB, I'd suggest a new kit. You are correct. We cannot guarantee compatibility if you buy 2 new 1GB modules and mix them. The safest option is to buy a 4GB kit. If the modules do not mix, then you still have the 4GB kit. If they do mix, you get 6GB.

Thanks for the help. One last thing to do now is choose which package i w******** The corsair website shows 2 different 4gb kits and other websites show several kits.

corsair shows 2 kits with the last letters c5 and c5c. which one do i choose?

Tiger directs site shows

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4631346&CatId=3412

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3228139&CatId=3412

One of those would be my choice from tiger direct. Although the first kit looks different so i think the second option would have the best chance of compatibility?

Edit: ha why did the swear filter kick in? I think i wanted to type "will go with"

Archived