Corsair Community

New ram unstable despite Memtest?

dsoden

I have an EVGA 780i FTW boad with 2 pairs of twinx 8500C5D memory for a total of 4g running at 1066 5,5,5,15,2T 2.1V. It's been rock solid for many months until recently when it started having trouble getting through the POST. Through trial and error I found that if I used either stick from 1 of the pairs in any combination it wouldn't POST. The other pair continued to work perfectly.

I RMA'd the problem pair and recieved replacements on Monday. I poped them in and it booted right up. Then about 10 minutes later I got a crash to desktop. Believe it or not, I NEVER have CTDs so I desided to run Memtest. I let it run for a few hours, making 3 passed and it found zero errors. I desided it must have been a fluke.

Then the next day, while downloading Mass Effect 2 from Steam I got a total system freeze, no mouse movement or anything. I then desided to change the timing to auto. It detected the memory as SLI ready and chose 1066 5,7,7,27,2T. I left the voltage at 2.1. Then about 30 minutes later I had another total system freeze.

I poped the new sticks out and went back to the 5,5,5,15,2T timing and am now on my second day in a row with zero problems, just like things have always been. Is it possible that I've got another set of bad memory, and if so, why doesn't it show up with Memtest? Tonight I'm going to try running the new sticks by themselves without the old ones to see if anything changes.

Well I had to leave town so I won't be able to try the new memory by itself or try a slower speed until next week. But im still bothered by the fact that memtest doesn't show a problem. If I'm doing something "unsupported" shouldn't it show errors?

My original 2 kits were bought about a year apart, back in like 06 and 07. They were totally stable for all this time through 2 different motherboards until this most recent failure. I've really been happy with them and sure hope I don't have to throw them away just to get back to 4g.

Unsupported does not mean it will not work. It simply means that we cannot verify that it will work on a consistant basis. Every motherboard is different, even those from the same batches. This is similar to how 2 seemingly identical CPUs can very different OCing characteristics.

I tried just the new memory by itself for about 3 hours and had no problem. I then put all 4 sticks back in and dropped it down to 800 for another 3 hours and had no problem. So as you said, it looks like I've just been lucky all these years to have 4 sticks that played nice together and would run at 1066... :(

Archived