Corsair Community

Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer and TR3X6G1333C9

SpiderRam

Hi

Now I have looked at the "Corsair Memory Configurator" & cannot seethis Mother listed, but the Memory I bought is listed in the Asus QVL.

The Memory is rated to being able to be used in orders like A* B* C* mixed in any slot now I have 6GB where I can only use 4GB because of only having 4 Dimm Slots.

I was wanting to buy 8GB of Memory (To Use x64 OS) & still do if its worth it in which I am unsure of, my question now is...

If I buy another Ram Pack like the one I have listed above will this work so I can use 8GB ? The Spare 4GB Left I could keep as a backup Pair, or possibly sell.

Would 2x Tripple Packs work if Installed as 8GB @ 4x2gb Dimms ?

Maybe there is a better solution.

Thanks for any help on this.

You can try it but there are no guarantees and the only way to know is to install them and test. We do not support mixing and matching RAM as we cannot test it together nor can we guarantee that you have the same revisions of memory. Ideally, you need to buy an 8GB kit.

Thanks Yellowbeard,

Yes, I thought it may be a trial & error thing, I am also hoping that some 1 that has allready done so may be able to say yes/no.

I couldn't get an 8GB kit as non are listed to where I could see, I like the Corsair, tho in another forum I was pointed to other Ram that was good but was not interested in that particular Ram & Speed.

Is it really worth going for 8GB ?

on Win 7 x64 OS system's.

If so & Decision was made to get 8GB what is the Best way, or doesn't it matter...

2x4GB

or

4x2GB

Currently Run Win 7 x86 with 4GB installed, I could proberly live with that but do like the potential of using a x64 system.

Thanks again

As far as trial and error, even if it has been done before it may not work for you. Different revisions of memory, different hardware etc make it impossible to guess. As for 8GB being worth it, that is entirely up to you and your needs. And, 4GB modules are still astronomically expensive and are not a viable option for most at this time. 4GB on a 64bit OS is still better than 4GB on a 32bit OS.

With the Trial & Error, ok I can understand that.

With 8GB I thought it would give you much better overall performance & maybe a little edge in gaming, but if thats the case I am happy to go x64 with 4GB & having 2 Spare.

4GB on a 64bit OS is still better than 4GB on a 32bit OS.

Thats exactly the sort of answere I was looking for, so if I am reading this correctly at this time there is no real bennifet of going the extra mile. Unless you have tones of Photographics & Movies to work with on a professional basis.

Heres an Update I got all my bits now, & put it all together apart from some small things...

When I installed the Ram I usally Start by inserting closest to the CPU 1st, in this case the Black Slots.

Quick Info:

This is the QVL Ram & is Listed in my Motherboard Book as being able to be in any Combo like (A B C). When Inserted in the Black Slots the Diagnose Lamp Stays on & Computer will not Bootup at all not even to the Bios Screen.

Now I tried everything you can imagine Trying 2 Different Video Cards & Changing Slots etc... As my Monitor kept saying No Signal Display.

So after stuffing around a while I thought I would put the Ram Sticks in the Black Slots well Straight away it worked without Problems.

Could this mean my 2x Black Slots are Dead ? Not working at all.

I have used only 1 Stick at a time & none of the Black Slots will work. What do you think ?

Thanks

Please read your manual and look at section 2-4. You can use 1, 2, or 4 memory modules with this board but you cannot use 3 memory modules. Also, you must use the 2 light blue slots first. The other pair of slots will work only after both these slots (A1+B1) are filled. You cannot run a single module in any slot other than A1. But a single in A1 and a pair in A2+B2 will not work.

Please read your manual and look at section 2-4. You can use 1, 2, or 4 memory modules with this board but you cannot use 3 memory modules. Also, you must use the 2 light blue slots first. The other pair of slots will work only after both these slots (A1+B1) are filled. You cannot run a single module in any slot other than A1. But a single in A1 and a pair in A2+B2 will not work.

Yes, I no I have done that, also it states in my Manual that you can use these Memory > Corsair TR3X6G1333C9 6GB (3x XMS3 2GB) PC-10600 (1333MHz) XMP

I have got them installed in the Light blue slots & only using 2 Sticks of 3.

The manual also says these Ram can be used like "A B C" so I am confused to why they can say this if it not true, this is why I bought this Ram pack because could not find any Dual Packs around.

I would loved to of gotton 8GB Dual Pack. But cannot any listed for Corsair only want the 1333 fsb.

Thanks for your info & help.

• A*: Supports one module inserted in slot A1 as single-channel memory configuration.
  • B*: Supports one pair of modules inserted into either the blue slots or the black slots as one pair of dual-channel memory configuration.
  • C*: Supports four modules inserted into both the blue

They mean you can buy a 3 stick pack and use 2 of the sticks in a dual channel configuration. If you can, return that memory and get one of the 8 GB packs listed here under dual channel:

http://www.corsair.com/products/corei7/default.aspx

Thanks Wired

Those links are no good for me as I am in Australia & the links are US.

I finally Managed to find a place to buy in AU an 8GB Kit they are:

Corsair CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 8GB (4x XMS3 2GB) PC-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3 RAM

They are listed as Pre Order @ $435.00

Looks like I will have to save up more $$$ to get these so will have to live with what I currently have now for a while.

Something else just come to think of it, would there be a Performance difference at all in regards to either using the Dual or Tripple Channel Memory ?

Or is it just the Testing to make sure they work as listed as Paired or Tri.

Thanks

The manual also says these Ram can be used like "A B C" so I am confused to why they can say this if it not true,

You are misinterpreting the manual. A, B, and C are configuration options that correspond to a key as follows, shown at the bottom of page 2-16.

• A*: Supports one module inserted in slot A1 as single-channel

memory configuration.

• B*: Supports one pair of modules inserted into either the blue slots or

the black slots as one pair of dual-channel memory configuration.

• C*: Supports four modules inserted into both the blue

So, again, you can use 1, 2, or 4 modules. I have no idea why MOBO makers insist on including 3 pack or 6 pack memory kits in the compatibility lists for MOBOs with 2 and 4 memory slots. It leads to situations like this.

And, the key is wrong on 2 counts for option B.

1. You can't use the dark slots in a 2 module configuration. You have to use the light blue slots first as I noted above.

2. Unless the website picture is wrong, the slots are grey and light blue, not black and light blue. It's a small detail but it does cause confusion and especially when mixed with other mistakes.

Thanks for the Heads up Ram Guy

Hi Yellowbeard

You are misinterpreting the manual

That may be the case, but I am starting to Understand a bit better now.

And, the key is wrong on 2 counts for option B.

Yes, I can see what you mean, now that I have solved that issue its ok. If I had of relised/New that was going to be the case I would never of got that Ram Kit. At a later time down the track I will Upgrade to 8GB Dual Pack & Sell off my Tri Ram Kit.

2. Unless the website picture is wrong, the slots are grey and light blue, not black and light blue.

Sorry, but mine are definately Black & Light Blue. :biggrin: :confused:

I have learnt a few things now. :laughing:

• 3 months later...

Ok, here is my latest update in relation to TR3X6G1333C9 Memory.

When I bought this Combo I actually thought that 2x sticks is all I could use based on the fact of Tested in Tri Combo & listed to work in my Motherboard as being able to work.

Now a few months later I decided for some unknown reason (I had the Urge) to try that other Stick I had layer around doing nothing thinking it was just as good to be a Backup.

As it turns out all 3x Ram Sticks work together & in Dual Channel Mode, from Closest to the CPU 1-2-3-4 I have placed my 3x Sticks like so 2-3-4 which leaves -1- Empty.

So I am happy as can be now that my 3rd Ram is not being wasted, I just wish I tried this a few months ago.

Just thought I would post this Info so others no it does work.

Archived