Corsair Community

Question on Bluebeards TRIM FAQ

Randy Myers

Ok, so I follow the entire thread about TRIM FAQ but I have a question.

First off, my drive does not have trim firmware, pretty sure it is FW version 1.0.

I run the command line command to check if trim is enabled and it says it is, but I know this is only one part of the equation because you also need trim enabled firmware.

My question is, Bluebeard states that you need AHCI running to have TRIM support. I had not heard this before. I had heard that AHCI was for performance but I did not understand that it is neccessary for TRIM. The reason that I ask this is that I find no where in my BIOS to activate AHCI and when I do a msinfo32 command I see that msahci.sys driver is not started and I find no way to start it. My mother board is an Asus PN-5T Deluxe which is only 2 years old. Is it true that even with a FW upgrade TRIM wont work for me because I do not have AHCI active?

Thank you for replying, however the issue I think is that there is no option for AHCI in my BIOS. None that I can find and I have been going in and out of BIOS's for many years.

This is why i am asking/questioning if AHCI is a requirement for TRIM. It does not make sence to me that it would be. Parted Magic Secure Erase works just fine on my drive. Could someone who knows for sure let me know if in fact AHCI is a requirement for TRIM.

The drive works just fine with my computer so I find it hard to believe that TRIM would not work on my motherboard.

I just did some searching through some fo the competition forums and the consenses seems to be that TRIM works in IDE mode also, so long as using windows 7 drivers. This was from tech supports persons from the m/f themselfs. All of this conflicting and contradicting information is what drives me crazy.

This is why I ask. Is ther eanyone that knoiws 100% for certain, with no doubt about it weather ahci is required for trim. Bluebeard listed it as needed while several threads that I just read stated that TRIM works in either ahci or ide mode so long as microsoft windows 7 drivers are being used. This is important to me since from everything I can find out, my motherbaord does not have an ahci option.

• Corsair Employees

As stated in the TRIM FAQ AHCI is no requirement - you can either run in AHCI or IDE mode:

TRIM Support Checklist

- Microsoft Windows 7 operating system

- SSD with TRIM-supprting Firmware

- Storage Controller configured in IDE or AHCI mode

- Microsoft Storage Driver (MSAHCI / working for IDE and AHCI mode)

I'm sorry, I originally thought that I read you saying that AHCI was required. I appologies if I mis-read.

The other quick question then, if running in IDE mode since it now appears that my Asus mothboard does not have a AHCI mode; if I am running the standard Windows 7 drivers will it all work fine? The reason I ask this is when checking the system is indicates that msahci is installed but not started but doing the command line check to verify TRIM is functioning and it indicates it is. So I assume that when TRIM firmware is released I should be just fine. Does this sound correct to you?

Archived