Corsair Community

Two questions on X series.

OdiN

1. Does it come with a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter? I can't find that info anywhere and that's rather annoying that nobody lists what is in the retail box.

2. Firmware (I know I know). When the update is available that will enable TRIM, will the firmware upgrade be non-destructive or will I lose all the data on the drive? I will be installing Win7 on this drive, and I hate reinstalling so just curious. I could image but not sure what programs will work for doing this.

• Corsair Employees

1. Does it come with a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter? I can't find that info anywhere and that's rather annoying that nobody lists what is in the retail box.

A: NO but the adapter kit is not to expensive and they are widely available at most Computer stores.

2. Firmware (I know I know). When the update is available that will enable TRIM, will the firmware upgrade be non-destructive or will I lose all the data on the drive? I will be installing Win7 on this drive, and I hate reinstalling so just curious. I could image but not sure what programs will work for doing this.

A: Too early to know for sure but the beta that was recently tested was non destructive, but its not known if the final version will be or not sorry!

However, if you will be purchasing the drive soon chances are it/they will have the latest firmware and not need to be updated.

Can't remember which thread, but I am pretty sure Yellowbeard once mentioned that the firmware that is being tested does not support trim, it's just newer with some bug fixes?

So the X series supports what from day one, Linux trim? This is news to me.

I just wanted to mention, the drive (x64) has worked great for me as a boot drive, Trim or not.

Ramguy, I think you are confirming that firmware v2.0 supports MS TRIM, given that one is using Windows 7 and MS driver, which is great news, thanks.

But what do you have to do to make a X series drive with firmware 1.1 be trimmed? I guess what I am asking is "what is the definition of TRIM, as supported before v2.0?". Do you mean the "secure erase" trick? or the "leave it idle and it will self heal" trick? or something else? What triggers it?

Yellowbeard, thanks. I know you're quite rightly getting grumpy about people asking about firmware upgrades. But that's not what I was asking. This is what ramguy said :

The drive supported TRIM from is first release, but did not support Microsoft's version of TRIM till version 2.0

What I want to know is what does he mean. I thought there was only one version of trim - i.e. in-flight signalling to the SSD that some block is available for deletion.

I want to know the real capability of my 1.1 level drive, whilst I wait (patiently and without grumbling) for the update utility. You have already stated that the X series drive does NOT support GC or TRIM as far as I can remember without trawling the forum, but this message from Ramguy seems to indicate at least some level of support.

So I repeat, please, what triggers the level of trim that Ramguy says is included in the drive regardless of firmware level?

I want to know the real capability of my 1.1 level drive, whilst I wait (patiently and without grumbling) for the update utility. You have already stated that the X series drive does NOT support GC or TRIM as far as I can remember without trawling the forum, but this message from Ramguy seems to indicate at least some level of support.

So I repeat, please, what triggers the level of trim that Ramguy says is included in the drive regardless of firmware level?

I've asked RG to clarify. According to the FAQs it is the P series that has a non-TRIM GC function. The X series does not according to the FAQs. So, my guess is a typo from RG. ::pirate::

Archived