Corsair Community

problem running 2 pairs of TWIN2X2048-8500C5D

Liquid_Ice

I have the same mobo but with 2 x CM2X1024-8500C5D and I am getting the same problem with one of my sticks and I was wondering if it meets the requirements to be RMA.

Well here is the issue. For about 1 year I've had a pair of the CM2X1024-8500C5D sticks and they've been working great, so I decided to get another pair from ebuyer. However, having a busy lifestyle I only got round till today to install them (just missed the 28 days etailer returns policy).

After plugging the new sticks in, they boot up fine with the BIOS page reading 4gb running in duel mode interleaved. However when windows loaded up, I checked how much RAM is actually running, it said 3.25gb (running xp 32bit). I didnt take much notice of this, as it sometimes xp can be a bit "dodgy" and with the bios giving me the reading of 4gb I thought it would be fine.

Well after a few minutes of running, I start getting firefox errors and then windows crashes on me and gives me the blue screen of death. It happened a few more times, after that I decided to take all the RAM out and test each one on each slot, 3 worked perfectly fine, booting up properly to windows with no errors. However 1 stick sometimes didnt reach the bios screen or during the windows loading screen it would just reset itself.

I was wondering what could be the problem and if there are anyways I could fix this? If not would you say I should RMA the stick?

Note* I'm not a pc whizz so please could you keep the techical jargon on the low. :!oops:

Thanks in advance.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

The old sticks are version 4.1 and the newer sticks are version 4.3. In the bios, everything is set on Auto, however the performance enhance was set on turbo ( I dont remember changing it to turbo) could this be a reason to why it wouldn't be working properly?

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I havent tweeked around with the voltages, so on stock they are already 2.1v. Also I've never used Memtest so I wouldnt know what to do.......

Archived