Corsair Community

Problems with VoyagerGT 64GB

frozencoast

Haveing had good luck with the 32GB versions, I recently ordered several 64GB Voyager GTs. I have been trying to copy a folder that is 45GB in size. The folder contains 15,620 files in 121 folders. There are many gzipped files in the folder. I have tried copying just a few of the sub-folders, but same error message.

I get the error message:

Cannot copy <filename>: cannot find the specificed file. Make sure you have the correct path and file name.

I seem to be able to copy other large folders with multiple files, but this is the only one with such a large number of folders and zipped files. Any ideas on why this shold be a problem? The files came on a removable hard-drive (MyBOOK) and did not transfer to the corsair. I moved the files to another removable then onto a desktop - the files transferred fine. I moved them to server over the network and that worked fine too. I only encounter problems trying to write to the Voyager. I am not sure of the type of system that created the files - probably UNIX or LINUX. I do not seem to have a problem copying other large folders of data to the Corsair - only this particular set of folders and files.

Any ideas?

• Corsair Employee
There are limitations as to the number of files and the max file size with FAT32, I would try and format the drive to NTFS and see if that solves the problem, but if you do please note you would not be able to use this with Mac or Linux based systems.

Thanks Ram Guy - I tried this, but with no success. With NTFS though I received a different message - a windows delayed write failed message. It appears that the Corsair loses contact with the computer at some point so it can it can longer receive data. When I click the ok button on the cannot find file dialogue, the Corsair reboots (i.e. windows finds it again and read the files and asks what I want to do). What would cause the Corsair to lose contact with the computer? heat? It fails on multiple computers, but so far only with this set of files and folders.

• 4 weeks later...

Ram Guy - I had the memory stick replaced (from the dealer) and I now find the same problem - the memory stick unmounts spontaneously. I did a bit more testing and found that it does it on my desk top but not on the laptop. Both are Dell products and the desktop has had not problems with any other USB devices or with smaller sized Corsairs (up to 32 GB). I tried reformatting the Corsair to NTFS, but that does not make any difference. Frustrating since I use the sticks to transfer large (2GB) files between the 2 systems.

Any other thoughts?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Sory for the delay in responding - I was out of town. I am using Windows XP Professional 32 bit. I did a bit more testing and the unit failed on other Dell OptiPlex 740 machines, but seems ok on some other Dells and on an HP in our office. This machine uses the AMD processor. Have you had any other Dell related failures?

Steve

• Corsair Employee

That type of problem can be caused from the system USB port not able to provide enough power and yes we have seen that issue from several OEM systems especially when using the Front ports.

The flash drive needs 5.0 Volts +- .5 Volts at 500 Mamps Minimum.

Hmmm. I tried it on the back side USB port and experienced the same problem. I tried it with and without the extension cable out of curiousity - no difference. Does the 64GB version draw more power than the 32GB? I have 2 of these 64GB versions and they now appear to be useless.

Steve

Thanks to your suggestion re: power, I have a work around. It appears that there is sufficient power at the USB port on my monitor to run the 64GB Corsair. I may purchased a powered USB hub at some point, but at least I can use the devices now. It may be useful to sell/supply one of those cables that allow power to be drawn from 2 USB ports if this appears to be a more pervasive problem.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Archived