Corsair Community

nails-on-chalkboard

PMac

I bought a TX650 PSU about a year ago to replace an ancient unbranded one, and it's been driving me up the wall with this horrible high-frequency screeching, hissing sound that it makes. It's not loud, but it stands out from the rest of the background noise and really gets on my nerves. I bought this particular PSU because it was reputed to be a high-quality PSU with a quiet and unobtrusive sound profile, but this screeching is anything but unintrusive.

I'm using an Athlon XP processor, MSI KT4V motherboard, 1GB DDR-333 RAM, Radeon 9600 AGP graphic card and a Seagate Barracuda 200GB HDD, so my components could hardly be said to be stressing the PSU. I've read lots of comments by people who blame it on power-hungry graphics cards, but my Radeon 9600 is able to keep cool with nothing more than a teeny tiny passive aluminium heatsink on the GPU chip, and it doesn't require an external power connector.

The screeching from the PSU occurs at all times; it screeches during POST, in the BIOS menu, in Windows XP safe mode, Windows XP normal mode, Ubuntu 9.04, when the graphics card, HDD, sound card, CD drive are connected and when they're disconnected. When the only components that are present are the motherboard, CPU and RAM, and the motherboard halts during POST because it can't detect a boot device, the screeching is constant in tone for the most part, but when other components are connected and the computer is operating normally, any HDD accesses, updates to the graphics display, running a RAM test or a CPU-intensive task will cause momentary downward shifts in the frequency of the screech, producing something that sounds a little like a cross between a dot-matrix printer and a dial-up modem. The graphics display affects it in both 2D and 3D modes, with v-sync on or off, and even displaying a new line of text during POST causes an audible change in the PSU noise.

I'm about to upgrade to an AM3 motherboard with integrated graphics, and the PSU and case are the only things that will be kept from my current setup, so I'll see if I still have the same problem once that's been done.

Edit:

I meant to post this in the 'Buzzing Noise from power supplies' sticky, but it ended up as a new thread for some reason. Could someone please merge it with that thread?

• Corsair Employees

I would try testing the PSU in a different system just to be sure that you can duplicate the same issues. Its possible that the issue is caused by a slight incompatibility with your motherboard. Most socket A boards supported ATX12v 1.3 and our PSU is only backwards compatible to ATX12v 2.01. I would just make sure that the PSU gives you the same issues in a different system and if so, then lets get it replaced!

You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived