Corsair Community

Re-installation of OS and X64

Tekgun

Hi all, I have a few questions kind of related and just want confirmation that I'm doing the right thing.

I've had a single X64 a few months and am planning to reinstall the OS (windows7 64bit). I want to do a clean install and from what I've read, I should perform a secure-erase using HDD Erase. Then let Windows7 just do its installation, Is this right? or do I need to format the drive myself first?

Then after I have completed the installation, I would like to start using Imaging software to make a backup of the X64 to use for future reinstalls, however I have never used an OS image as a backup before,(always done clean installs ) and as nearly all other programs will be on a SATA raid setup I was wondering, will all my other programs just work after reinstalling my OS from a image backup, or will I need to reinstall them or something aswell?

First of all back up any data that you don't want to lose before doing the clean install. After doing the secure-erase just load Windows and let the OS handle setting up the drive.

When installing a Image backup, any programs that were working when the backup Image was made will work after restoring the backup.

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest using Accronis to make and image of the drive (if you are using Windows) then use Parted magic to Wipe the drive under tools select Erase Disk and Secure Erase and then, install the drive on the system you will be using it as a second HDD and format it with the QUICK Option Only and 32k Allocation then test it with Atto again to be sure its running properly then delete the partition and image the drive back to its original image and you are done.

Archived