Corsair Community

CMD4GX2M2A1066C5 with GA-MA790FX-DS5

smatman

I am on my second set of sticks from Newegg and am still experiencing hard reboots with ram configured at 1066. Ram runs fine at 800.. I'm not sure if this is a bad stick problem or a configuration problem.

Newegg says to set timings at 5-6-6-18 on the product page: CMD4GX2M2A1066C5

Corsair site product page says to set to 5-5-5-15

Setting to 5-6-6-18 as per newegg: memtest goes for about 5 seconds and the computer reboots

Setting to 5-5-5-15-2T as per corsair: Bios goes to safe mode and reverts to 800MHz

This is with both chips installed, tried slots 1&2, 3&4, 1&3, 2&4

With single stick installed in slot 1 (closest to CPU):

Stick #1:

Setting to 5-6-6-18 as per newegg: errors on test 5 and 8

Setting to 5-5-5-15-2T as per corsair: bios reverts to 800MHz

Stick #2:

Setting to 5-6-6-18 as per newegg: All tests passed, no errors

Setting to 5-5-5-15-2T as per corsair: bios reverts to 800MHz

So did I get a bad stick twice? or am I setting something wrong? and is the newegg timings the proper timing? since both sticks cause bios to go to safe mode when set to the timing stated on the corsair site of 5-5-5-15?

Thanks for any assistance.

Even though I have no problem with one chip but errors on another?

I would think if it was the CPU it would have the same errors with both sticks. Also my brother has the same CPU with a different brand 1066 ram without issue.

I was unable to test as my brother didn't come to town. I guess I'll just run this memory at 800MHz.. I still find it strange that one chip passes all tests at 1066 by itself and the other one doesn't. But you guys obviously know more about this stuff than I do.

Although to prevent this issue from biting anyone else, I recommend that you either remove the GA-MA790FX-DS5 from your supported motherboard list for this ram or at least put a note that with an AM2+ phenom quad core processor, this ram will not perform at 1066.

Thanks

Archived