Corsair Community

Is there an erase pgm that runs from windows?

luckyflyer

I'm somewhat new to ssd drives. I've owned my X32 for about 2 weeks now and I'm seeing the performance start to roll off. I have an external esata drive that I have loaded my os onto using acronis. I can boot into windows 7 using that esata drive. My question is, is there an erase program that will clean my X32 from windows? To me it would be easier to do it this way and would allow me to continue to use the computer while the drive is being erased. Would just doing a windows format of the X32 achive the desired results?

Thanks,

Luckyflyer

Hi Lucky

The problem with standard windows formatting is that it just removes the file allocation entries and not the actual data; this is why programs have been designed to recover data that has either been accidentally deleted or a drive has been accidentally formatted. It's also why secure erase programs have been developed to ensure that said data cannot be recovered. The problem with secure erasing is that many programs of this nature just over-write the data several times with 1's or 0's which makes the original data irretrievable and this type of erasing is not good for SSD's as all you would be doing is replacing one set of data for another. The idea behind the likes of Gparted or HDDerase is that they actually 'remove' all data from the SSD cells and thus returns the drive to a (near) fresh out of the box state.

The main problem with both Gparted and HDDerase is actually getting them to work - different people with varying systems have varying success. Me personally I've never been able to get either of them to work, whether it's something to do with my system or whether it's just me being thick I don't think I will get to know lol. All that I can suggest is that you look at the sticky's and read about secure erasing and give it a try. Just remember to ensure that you backup all your valuable data before starting because once you start (and succeed) you'll never get any data back from your SSD. Good luck :-)

Well I did load Parted Magic onto my usb drive and used the secure erase option. The dialog said it would take from 30 to 180 minutes so I hit the start button. There was no progress bar or any indication that the erase was being performed. The hdd activity light would blink once every 2 to 3 seconds. After 2 hours I rebooted into windows with my esata drive and went into disk mgr. The X32 was there as unallocated (black). Can I assume that it was erased? Was the fact that there was no progress bar and very little hdd activity an indication that the erase was not running properly? Sorry for all of the questions I would just like to know before I restore the image.

Thanks

Luckyflyer

• Corsair Employees

It will normally only take about a minute to erase an SSD, and once the message goes away "It would take from 30 to 180 minutes" then its done.

But quick format the drive and then test it with ATTO to be sure.

Archived