Corsair Community

Difference between memory modules?

xarragon

Hello, I am looking for memory for a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard, which Corsair configurator lists the following modules for:

TR3X6G1333C9 (3x2Gb, 1333Mhz CL9 @ 1.5V)

CMX6GX3M3A1333C9 (3x2Gb, 1333Mhz CL9 @ 1.5V)

The latter ones are at sale at a local store, I wonder what the differences are? I do plan to add another 6Gb to the system at a later date, anything to think of? I know that if I want to OC the system to 1600Mhz on the RAM system I will need a maximum of 1 dual-rank module on each channel, which I guess means I will need 2 modules which are single-rank? At 1333 Mhz JEDEC says 2 dual-rank modules per channel, so in that case 2x2Gb with dual-rank per channel should be dandy, correct? Not that I am all that inclined to start OC:ing to be honest.

From your product page I can infer that they are in some way a new product and not simply a renaming since the color of the heat spreader seems to have changed. I'm just a bit cautious as you don't list them on your homepage AND the retailer has a sale; this suggests that it is an older part that is being phased out. Is this correct?

Like Ram Guy has stated, this is indeed a new part and is on the website:

http://www.corsair.com/configurator/memory_results.aspx?id=1077407

Price changes have nothing to do with new or old as the IC market is always in flux and IC prices change constantly which in turn affects module prices.

Note that 2 individual 6 GB packs can't be guaranteed to work together in a 12 GB configuration as they have not been tested / packaged / guaranteed to work together for the simple reason that they haven't been tested together. If you know you want a 12 GB pack, get a 12 GB pack.

Before asking here I actually mailed Corsair, and I got a reply today.

Hello, I can't seem to find the product page for your product named CMX6GX3M3A1333C9. At the configuration page for Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 both the CMX6GX3M3A1333C9 modules and TR3X6G1333C9 are listed at identical specifications. Why is the latter the preferred one, and are there any practical differences between the two? Which one should I choose if in doubt?

Both parts are actually the same in regards to performance and compatibility. We have moved to a new part numbering method and refreshed the design of some of our heatspreaders, which is why the part is now listed as CMX6GX3M3A1333C9.

Archived