Corsair Community

Restoring Performance (or wiping) for a Mac

Violet

Hi,

i would recommend partedmagic which makes a very good job. Once you managed to boot partedmagic from a USB stick or from a CD, you have a tiny Linux based OS available on your mac. This OS includes many system-tools eg. gparted or secure erase. There is also a well supported forum. With gparted run from the USB, you can copy your system-partition to another drive, then secure erase the SSD and copy the entire system-partiton back to the wiped SSD after wards.

• Corsair Employees
There are some utilities in MAC that you should be able to use in fact I think the Disk Manager in MAc has a secure erase feature. I would suggest talking to Apple and see what they suggest. If you cannot move the drive to a Windows system.

So I am clear, are you suggesting that to restore performance all one needs to do is a secure erase? As in zero out the free space or complete drive? I have tried this, and it had no effect on write performance which has dropped dramatically after only a few days. ( See this post. )

I certainly understand that predominantly Corsair needs to satisfy the windows users. They afterall make up the majority of users. So support for the Apple Community is unlikely for a long time. Whether it is from SSD manufacturers or Apple.

What I am seeking, is to understand why this drop has occurred so quickly, and what I can do to avoid it.

I am more than happy to discuss this offline or give you more data.

Thank you for replying..!!! ;):

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry but I do not have any information on MAC's and I cannot comment about their use, however I know several people who are suing our SSD's on MAC's and have no problems. From a testing point of view I would suggest testing the drive on a Windows based system simply because I will have data to back up a failing drive or not.

If that is not an option for you then as I suggested the best place would be the Apple Forum or Apple Tech support.

Hello All...

Is there a way (without removing) to:

- Restore performance to an SSD in a Mac..?

- Wipe completely an SSD in a Mac in order to start from scratch and maximum performance..??

Hi Violet,

I also had/have the same issue with my macbook and the only way which was working for me was to use a windows pc (sure u know what it means for a mac user to go back to a pc :evil: ) with the ssd in an external enclosure.

I wasted hours of searching the web for a solution & also testing them but afaik there is NONE for an mac user.

Problem for an MAC user is afaik that the EFI (Bios of a MAC) is freezing your drive when it is used in your MAcbook/MBP.

--> so no solution with boot cd or similar stuff is working here due to the fact that hdderase, hdparm,... requires a NON FREEZED drive. And there is no workaround!:!:

There are also several workarounds with external usb enclosures mentioned but they were also a total waste of time for me. (I think the issue is the same as mentioned above: the EFI is freezing every drive which is accessable during Bios boot)

So I walked the really hard way (use a PC with windows) to do a clean wipe of my drive with hdderase.

But if someone knows a way to wipe your ssd without taking the it out of the mac you would be my hero!

By the way: Do NOT use the Disk Utility of your OSX to erase your drive with 0's. --> this will really slow down your ssd (reason for this is that if you are wiping your ssd with hdderase every cell:confused: of your ssd is resetted to its initial state = non written ;

But the disk utility erase command is writing Zeros to every cell which is for your ssd the same as written, don't matter which information it is

I hope this short text is helping a lot other mac users not to waste teir time with searching a solution.

Nevertheless I hope that there is a solution somewhere out there:biggrin::eek::mad:

Q

The thing is - there is an ATA security command set - required, I believe, by the US govt for security purposes. The drive can have security commands 'enabled' or 'frozen' or supported' etc. Most BIOS that I have heard of bring a disk up as 'frozen' - I mean PC BIOS, I have no knowledge of Macs. To get the drive 'unfrozen' for the security erase you need to get the Linux system up and running, pull the power cable off the SSD, put it back again, then do the security erase according to your favourite method. Apparently the security erase ATA command causes the SSD to reset itself to factory-new condition. it takes very little time - much less than writing all over every sector. It's magic, I'm afraid. Nobody will (or can) explain exactly what is going on. But it's certainly not just writing zeros or anything else into the disk sectors that does the trick. But I do think, as a Mac user, you need to get your machine up and running Linux somehow to do this.

Thank you all for your replies. This is as much about learning as it is solving. I do enjoy a challenge..!!! :)

What I am trying to understand (and perhaps solve) is:

1: Why has the write benchmark changed so radically for only specific block sizes (refer here)..???

2: Can anything be done?

This graph is a benchmark from fresh clone compared to five days later. The drive is less than 50% full. If you look carefully, you can see that both tests are almost identical, except at a few block sizes.

Ram Guy: Thank you for replying. I will try a few tests. If you have specific tests or processes you wish me to investigate, please PM me. I would value your advice.

http://web.me.com/sassimac/images/Benchmarks/Corsair-Overlay.tif

Archived