Corsair Community

Hot-swap causing slow boots?

iLikeCh3eZe

I am the new owner of an 800D that i picked up over the holidays. About 2 days ago I ran into a strange problem, it seemed that my PC was hanging on boot. I thought this had something to do with the recent BIOS flash I performed on my 780i, so I went through the process of swapping in my backup P45 board in and attempted to install windows. The same thing happened, boot times around 10-15 minutes, and booting to safe mode would hang on classpnp.sys. After a long process I hooked my windows drive directly to the sata port on the motherboard, bypassing the hot-swap backplane. The boot time was approximately 45 seconds this time. I don't know if this is something others may have experienced, it just started happening a few days ago, and I've only had the case 3 weeks.

My question is this: Is this normal? Am I supposed to mount my boot drive directly to the motherboard (i.e. in one of the bottom cages) and just use the hot-swap bays for storage?

I thought they were just extensions as well, but when I took the sata cable off of the backplane and put it into the hard drive in my hand along with a sata power cable and my boot was back to normal I suspected the only variable between the two. I swapped the bays as one of the first things i did, just trying different slots, it made no difference to the boot times. Perhaps it has something to do with power, I'm using the 4 port sata connector for the backplane, perhaps its not getting enough juice through that? Or maybe my backplane is bad? The hard drives don't access slowly from within windows, the problem seems reserved to booting.

Could possibly be your PSU and the way it handles power-ons. The 4 port cable should be able to provide more than enough power. I have 4 HDs on mine, no boot time differences between before and my 800D (X25-M G2)

You may have also damaged your backplane if you installed the 4 port sata power cable without crimping them first.

I suppose thats possible, I didn't crimp anything since I wasn't aware I had to. There were minimal install instructions...

My PSU does act strangely during some power ons, for instance i was unable to short the 24 pin connector to fill my liquid cooling setup, and instead had to rely on powering the mobo and flicking the switch on the psu itself off while I filled the resivoir.

The thing is, this issue didn't occur for the first 2-3 weeks, it just kind of came out of nowhere. Your crimping idea seems quite possible, how do I do that? Or is my backplane irreversibly damaged?

Edit: Nevermind, I read your thread on the wires, my backplane connectors were kind of bent as well when i received the case, I just gently bent them back slightly, except the top one which points upward, it worked well with the extra length on the sata power connector (without crimping ;)) I did flex them a few times to make them a little more pliable, perhaps they forced the connectors around a little though...

I suppose thats possible, I didn't crimp anything since I wasn't aware I had to. There were minimal install instructions...

My PSU does act strangely during some power ons, for instance i was unable to short the 24 pin connector to fill my liquid cooling setup, and instead had to rely on powering the mobo and flicking the switch on the psu itself off while I filled the resivoir.

The thing is, this issue didn't occur for the first 2-3 weeks, it just kind of came out of nowhere. Your crimping idea seems quite possible, how do I do that? Or is my backplane irreversibly damaged?

Edit: Nevermind, I read your thread on the wires, my backplane connectors were kind of bent as well when i received the case, I just gently bent them back slightly, except the top one which points upward, it worked well with the extra length on the sata power connector (without crimping ;)) I did flex them a few times to make them a little more pliable, perhaps they forced the connectors around a little though...

Yea, if you don't bend the cables a little, a lot of force is placed on the connectors.

Another update: Transfers between disks connected to the hot-swap are ridiculously slow, 300-600KB/s for 7200 RPM drives? It's looking like this hot-swap solution isn't all it was cracked up to be, or i need a replacement backplane or something. Again this seems odd since it worked perfectly fine for the first 2-3 weeks...

Another update: Transfers between disks connected to the hot-swap are ridiculously slow, 300-600KB/s for 7200 RPM drives? It's looking like this hot-swap solution isn't all it was cracked up to be, or i need a replacement backplane or something. Again this seems odd since it worked perfectly fine for the first 2-3 weeks...

Sounds like your hotswap PCB is dying.

Archived