Corsair Community

VX550W makes noises after shutting down computer

Mtonks

I installed a Corsair VX550W power supply about a week ago and have found it to work very well. I do have a question though. When I shut down my computer, the power supply will make some noises. It doesn't always happen right after shutdown, it can be up to a minute later. The sounds are whistling like sounds and the sound of an electrical engine of some kind. I never hear these sounds while my system is running. I'm assuming these sounds are not normal and there is something wrong with my power supply or my installation. Anyone have advice on where to check? The power supply is plugged into a UPS so it is most likely not the result of the my home wiring. The reason for the power supply upgrade was because my other power supply didn't provide enough power for the upgrades I plan for my computer.

• Corsair Employees
I would first try plugging the PSU directly into the wall and see if there is any change. If there is no change, then make sure you have the latest BIOS available for the motherboard and then load setup defaults in the BIOS. It doesn't sound like the PSU is faulty, but if the noise is loud enough to be worrisome then we can replace the PSU for you. You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived