Corsair Community

Corsair Voyager 64Gb - Please insert a Disk

jsp2

I purchased this item from eBay (in February 2009) and had problems with it within a month. It could not be formatted. Upon checking with support, a RMA was issued and a replacement was sent. Now, approximately 9 months later, it is not accessible. It can be seen in Window Explorer as a removable drive but displays 'Please insert a disk into drive :J' when selected. The properties for this drive show 0 bytes and filesystem is 'unknown'. I had stored about 20 Gb on the drive before it suddenly couldn't be recognized. I tried it on other Window machines, Macs, and Linux servers but the blue light never comes on and it is not accessible. If I look at the device manager, it lists a 'USBest USB2Flash Storage USB' driver instead of the Corsair driver. This is consistent across all Windows systems. Other USB devices work fine. I have located a company that can recover my data based on what I have described. However, the drive has to be dis-assembled in order to access the data. Is it possilbe to still get a replacement (after recovering the data) or will this void the warranty. If I obtain a RMA to return the drive prior to recovery, I'll lose whatever data exists on the drive so I'm trying to determine what my options are. If anyone has had any luck with resolving this issue outside of getting a replacement, I would really appreciate the feedback.

At the time I purchased it from eBay (New), Corsair had no problem replacing it when it failed the first time. The one that has failed this time is the replacement (directly from Corsair) so this should definitely be under warranty. It is obvious from the symptons that the drive is not functioning and paying for data recovery is further proof that the drive did not work. What I'm hoping is that Corsair will recognize this and still honor their warrant with a replacement once the data has been recovered. Has anyone had a similar situation?

• Corsair Employees

Are you sure they did not send the drive back to you?

Normally if you purchased it from another user they will not honor the warranty, especially from Ebay. I would suggest you talk to our customer service.

Hello, I just spoke with Customer Service and they indicated that I can request an RMA since the drive was previously replaced by Corsair. They can look up the serial number from the last replacement to confirm the origin of the drive. They also indicated that sending the drive to a data recovery company does not in-validate the warranty as long as the drive is in reasonable condition following the recovery.

• 4 weeks later...

I sent my Flash Voyager (64Gb) to a company that recovers data from all types of hard drives and USB flash drives. They charge a flat rate of $145 plus return shipping. It takes about 2 weeks. They were able to recover 100% of my data (~20Gb). :biggrin: The drive was re-assembled, returned to me, and then I shipped it back to Corsair (with an RMA) for a replacement. If you need the data, this is certainly worth considering. Here is the link to their site:

http://www.recovermyflashdrive.com/usb-flash-drive-recovery

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I received my replacement drive from Corsair. This was after I returned the dis-mantled drive (after data recovery) to Corsair. The whole process from the time I sent the drive to have the data recovered until I received the replacement from Corsair was approximately 3.5 weeks. Not bad given that my data was recovered and the damaged drive was replaced with a new one in less than a month (including shipping time). http://forum.corsair.com/forums/images/smilies/new/icon_lol.gif

Thanks Corsair for standing behind your product!

Archived