Corsair Community

H50, uneven/damaged copper plate

ric_spooner

I've had my H50 in place for a couple of months now and having determined my new system is stable at stock speeds I decided it was time to overclock. Having removed the H50 and cleaned the TIM with some isopropyl I discovered that the original (factory applied) paste concealed some quite deep scores and scratches. The general finish of the copper is not good at all, with deep lines that can easily be felt from what I assume was the machining process. I had considered lapping but as this is how the item shipped and as I'd be starting from such an uneven surface I think it would be wiser to return the whole unit and have it replace...so RamGuy can you please tell me if I should just go ahead and raise an RMA?

My second question, which is probably precluded by my current issues, is...I'm OC'ing an i7 920 to 3.8 (the least I would expect) and I have the rad arranged sandwiched between two fans pulling cold into the chassis (obsidian 800D) with 2 exhaust fans above. I have seated and re-seated the pump using Akasa (I don't have the tube here to get the specific number) thermal paste. The figures I am seeing in Core Temp whilst torture testing in Prime95 are not alarmingly high but do concern me as they are unduly high when compared to other equally spec'd systems. I'm seeing a high of around 81-82 degrees after about 10 mins of stress testing. Anything over 80 and I stop the test. As I said, this could be down to the uneven copper surface and RMA'ing it would certainly offer the opportunity to eliminate it as the problem.

Can anyone offer any advice other than what I've tried so far?

I know these are very general questions but I think I need to RMA the H50 to get a fair starting point.

Those are pretty alarmingly high for an H50 @ 3.8 (stock volts?). They should be in the 60s or 70s at MOST if you are in a very hot room.

Room temp is quite mild really, UK winter time with minimal heating. I prefer a mild environment. I would guesstimate the room is perhaps 20 degrees C. I'm hitting 80's very quickly too....that is my main concern...left for a few mins longer and I'm sure it would be well into the 90's.

CPU-Z reports that core volt is 1.272.

Room temp is quite mild really, UK winter time with minimal heating. I prefer a mild environment. I would guesstimate the room is perhaps 20 degrees C. I'm hitting 80's very quickly too....that is my main concern...left for a few mins longer and I'm sure it would be well into the 90's.

CPU-Z reports that core volt is 1.272.

Yes, my room is 70F (21 C) and @ 3.8ghz, my 920 hits 65C on LinX. This is running a stock H50 (with the included TIM) w/ 2000RPM Ultra Kaze + 1900RPM SLipstream (both on slowest speed possible with a fan controller).

Well I'm ashamed to say that I'm only using a pair of Akasa baring fans (with onboard temp sensors lmao). Airflow is tricky to master in this chassis because of the lack of inlet locations...currently I have the stock corsair inlet fan above the PSU chamber and dust filter...and the rear two rad fans...I have two exhaust fans at the top (front two spaces) with the third (closest to the back) left empty as I had what appeared to be a negative air situation when running three fans up top.

I've switched the pump to the CPU Fan header and I'm currently retesting. Think I might just put in for an RMA now though and not wait for Ramguy. The problem seems quite obvious; I'm surprised this made it out the factory in such a poor state. I'll post some pictures of the block when I remove it.

Too heavy by far...but the build quality is superb!! I got a lot of criticism (on other forums) for my choice of chassis but I believe this to be one of the top 3 chassis on the market today. Lian Li are really off the boil lately and the build quality from most other manufacturers is lacking. It seems that as demand increases quality drops...appears to be complacency!

Anyway, back to the H50...I considered using the H50 fans to exhaust but with a massive lack of inlet I didn't like the thought of pumping warm air through a rad that is already under-performing. I'm happy enough with the H50 being used as an inlet with the push-pull configuration and obviously there's room for improvement by replacing the fans with higher-spec...possibly Gentle Typhoons. However, it's important to note that an OC of 1.2ghz is not really extreme when compared to other's running 4.2, 4.4 and even a 4.6 I've seen. The stock temps are not great with this H50 either and normally I would attribute these problems to an incorrectly seated proc. In this case, having seen the poor state of the block, I would say I'm 99% certain that is the cause.

EDIT**

"that is the cause".....translation for those in different time zones (it's 3am here!!!) I meant the damaged block causing the high-temps.

Let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

I'd love to fill that form out but...there's no option for cooling devices under "Type" and I can't find H50 under any of the other headings. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Archived