Corsair Community

H50 leak

instuller

I was always worried about the barb length coming out of the radiator and wondered what kind of angle could the tubes come off of them.

low & behold- after a few months, I saw this by the radiator. I wasnt powered up for a few weeks because I am still doing this build. So, I should be ok as far as components.

I was just sitting there shortening cables,sleeving, etc PSU wires when I noticed it- the break, and some fluid on the motherboard.

http://outsidetheboxphotography.smugmug.com/photos/766654931_wBGpc-X2.jpg

My whole build is centered around using this H50 at this point so Im stuck getting another one.

What is the tubing angle allowed to be coming off the barb, or how far past the barb is the tubing allowed to start curving?

I wish the barbs coming off the radiator were shorter .

• Corsair Employees

Let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

There is no spec for the amount of angle supported by the H50 and its rare to have a problem like this. You would need to intentionally kink the hoses at the barb for this to happen and even then, I'm not sure it would be easy for the hose to break without bending it back and forth to weaken the hoses. I would suspect that either the H50 was not installed correctly, or possibly it could have been defective out of the box. Either way, lets get it replaced.

Let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

There is no spec for the amount of angle supported by the H50 and its rare to have a problem like this. You would need to intentionally kink the hoses at the barb for this to happen and even then, I'm not sure it would be easy for the hose to break without bending it back and forth to weaken the hoses. I would suspect that either the H50 was not installed correctly, or possibly it could have been defective out of the box. Either way, lets get it replaced.

I do not think this leakage problem is so rare. I recently built a new computer centered around the new ASUS P6X58D Premium board. After using it for a month it started to experience random crashes. I opened up the case and noticed the pump head on the H50 sounded like a washing machine, as if air was entrained into the sealed fluid system. Then I saw the coolant leaking from the pump head. It was all over the bottom half of my new motherboard. I suspect that the number (or percentage) of H50 owners that write in to this forum is small, thus the actual number of bad H50's might be alarmingly high.

A couple of questions:

1) What are the electrical properties of your coolant (Propylene Glycol)? How conductive is it? How does it affect the impedance of the zillion microcomponents that are surfaced mounted to the typical motherboard?

2) Should I even attempt to clean this stuff off the motherboard, or will I do more damage?

3) Should I replace this brand new $300 motherboard?

4) With all due respect, you talk about obtaining an RMA as part of the replacement process. Why would anyone in their right mind put another one of these units back in their computer? This was the first and last time I'll be doing that. I can in no way justify trying one of these units again. I do not want to appear to sound too annoyed, but it is one big mess inside that computer.

• 7 months later...

Archived