Corsair Community

P128 only reading at 120MB/s.... please help...

hexstatic

Hello,

After running the ATTO hard drive benchmarking software my Read speeds are around 125 MB/s, and read around 110 MB/s.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z34/hexstatic_2007/P128ATTObenchmark.png

Can anyone help me to find out why the drive is only opperating at these speeds and not the 220MB/s read and 200MB/s write speeds ??

Any info is much appreciated!

Im using Win 7 - 64bit, i7 920 cpu, 12 Gb Corsair Dominator GT ram, ASUS p6t7 ws supercomputer motherboard.

thank you!

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest using Parted magic to wipe the drive (Under Tools Select Erase Disk) and then Select the drive from the list and select Secure erase then format the drive using the Quick format with 32K Allocation option and test the drive ATTO

I would suggest using Parted magic to wipe the drive (Under Tools Select Erase Disk) and then Select the drive from the list and select Secure erase then format the drive using the Quick format with 32K Allocation option and test the drive ATTO

I do that all the erasing/formatting from the utilities built into windows 7?

what is the 32K allocation option? is that an option that will come up during the quick format process?

sorry if these are stupid questions but i want to make sure I do it right :p:

• Corsair Employees

Parted Magic is a stand Alone application which runs in Linux and is a Linux version of Gparted but its much easier to use because it is GUI based.

You will find links to it in this thread "How to Restore Corsair SSD performance WITHOUT using HDDErase"

And you simply boot the system with the Parted Magic CD that you will make and then select Erase disk from the Tools Menu and then select the drive and then select secure erase.

Then with a system running Windows (Windows 7 preferred) in disk manager select to format the drive and you will see the options for Quick format and then the allocation setting with be another option.

so how do i run windows 7 after ive just erased all of my data on the hard drive??

i do that then re-install windows 7 etc? what about all the info I have on the drive? i assume it will all be lost??

do you know why im having to do this? the hard drive is brand new if i would of know id have to be starting to mess around doing all this I would never have bought a Corsair drive....

Accronis Disk image seems to work well with SSD Drives and yes you would need to image the drive to another drive.

ok thanks, i have storage hdd that i use so I could image it to that.

How would i go about booting from that image though?

would i change that drive to the preferred boot device in the BIOS then it would automatically load from the system image?

I am sorry but no it will not work that way, I would stronly suggest asking a friend to help you.

i dont have any friends that can help me with this matter...

i think it would be easier for me to just format the entire drive and start a fresh, i built the computer 2 weeks ago so i dont have that much stuff on the SSD, mainly just the OS and some games.

so I should... use Parted Magic to create a CD to boot from, which will enable me to do a 'secure erase' of the hard drive... I then install windows 7... then i use the windows built in feature to 'quick format' the SSD...?

how about upgrading the firmware? could this fit in somewhere ?

All the advice in this thread seems way to over complicated for a simple task of secure erasing the drive and restoring an image back to it.

IMO, forget formatting the drive with 32K clusters and testing it in Windows using another boot drive. Sure, do that if after the secure erase and re-image there is no improvement but no need to do that right away.

Use acronis to create a backup of the drive, then use HDDErase.exe to do a standard (Option 1) Secure Erase. Now boot from the Acronis bootable CD (the program prompts you to create this when you install it) and restore the image to the drive. The drive will now be bootable again and have everything on it that it did before only now the drive's NAND chips will be "clean".

Run Atto again and see if there is any improvement, there should be.

Not having a go, but in every post where 32K clusters are mentioned, there is no mention of the fact that Windows will NOT load from a 32K cluster formatted partition. In the case of Windows 7 one would need to have the System partition (100MB in size auto created) as standard 4K clusters and the drive where the OS data will be installed formatted as 32K clusters. This involves using the Recovery |Console or Command Line in "Repair option for Win 7 and is NOT for the novice user to do really unless they are comfortable using the command line and using switches. Using 32K clusters really isn't worth it. Performance gains are any where between small and zero and having 32K clusters will mean lots of wasted space on the drive. A cluster is the smallest unit size a file can be on a HDD ie if you save a 1 byte file on a 4K cluster drive it will take up 4KB of physical space. If you then save the same file to a 32K cluster drive you will use 32KB of space... for just a 1 byte file. If you have lots of files on the drive less than 32KB in size this adds up to many GB of waste. SSD's are not huge and this wasted space matters. If it were a 1TB mechanical drive then it wouldn't be so bad, but a 32-256GB drive....

On the hardware side, make sure that you have the drive plugged into the Intel SATA ports (ICH10R). Consult your manual, it will tell you what colour these have been made. If possible install the drive on the first port, labeled either SATA 0 or SATA 1 depending on the manufacturer and model.

If you still get poor performance I would then recommend the following presuming you have flashed the drive to the latest TRIM FW: Do a Secure Erase followed by a full re-install of Win 7. There have been issues reported when using an image to restore a drive involving TRIM not working correctly after. This is in part due to LBA addresses of SSD's not being fixed. Windows then gets confused and does not pass TRIM over correctly.

Then and only then would I use another HDD to load Windows and test the SSD (after a Secure Erase) as a stand alone. After all, whet is the point finding the max transfer speeds as a standalone drive when you'll be using it as an OS drive? Only after imaging, SE and benching or SE then re-install would it be warranted to test as a stand alone, if no improvement is shown as an OS drive.

Archived