Corsair Community

Configuration Help with Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P

ronbo613

I am trying to get the best performance out of my computer as possible. Not necessarily heavy duty overclocking; just the best possible performance without losing any stability. The computer is primarily a graphics/video workstation so CPU and memory are important because of programs like Adobe Photoshop and Premiere CS4 that use lots of RAM and CPU. I understand the basics of overclocking but; at this point; I've only had this motherboard for a few weeks and some of the BIOS settings are still a little beyond my complete understanding so I figured it would be a good idea to ask for a little advice.

The Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600(PC3 12800) is running at 1367.3 MHz in dual channel mode at 9-9-9-24, DDR voltage is 1.584v. XMP is disabled, SPD is AUTO, all the mobo DRAM voltage settings are on AUTO. Pretty much the default installation settings. Is there anything that can be done to get a little more juice out of the memory, or is this about as good as it gets without any instability?

The CPU looks pretty set; Non-Turbo is 2871 MHz, Turbo is 3008 MHz, idling nice and cool at 31C. The CPU Smart Mode is AUTO and CPU Smart Fan Control Enabled.

I've been checking around and I have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done to get a little more out of the memory; but before I start messing around, I thought it would be a good idea to ask the experts here what would be the best way to go. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The XMP is an option; never used anything like it before. I'm going to check it out.

I've been considering changing the Memory SPD Multiplier to 12; I assume that will give me the 1600MHz I'm looking for. I would keep the other settings on AUTO, but if necessary I would manually set the timings to 9-9-9-24 and if needed; up the voltage from 1.584v to 1.64v.

I don't want to change the CPU settings if I can help it; the way it's working out with the Intel Turbo Boost feature is good. I only want to see if I can get my 8G of memory working the best it can without destabilizing the system.

Here's what I did:

1. Change memory SPD to x12. That put my memory at 1600MHz.

2. Set the timings to 9-9-9-24. Settings on AUTO were the same, but manually set them to be sure. With the DRAM Timing Selectable(SPD) set to QUICK; when the timings are set on Channel A, Channel B is automatically set to the same timings.

3. On the Advanced CPU Core Features page:

Intel Turbo Boost Tech. - changed from Auto to Enabled

CPU Cores Enabled - left as All

CPU Multi-Threading - left as Enabled

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) - changed from Auto to Enabled

C3/C6/C7 State Support - changed from Auto to Enabled

CPU Thermal Monitor - changed from Auto to Enabled

CPU EIST Function - changed from Auto to Enabled

Bi-Directional PROCHOT - changed from Auto to Enabled

The DRAM Voltage is set on AUTO; the DRAM voltage is 1.616v; below the 1.65v memory threshold.

Everything is running smoothly. I noticed a bit of a CPU usage spike on startup, don't think it's anything major. Maybe I'll set the Turbo Boost back to AUTO and see if that does anything. I think the RAM should be safe at 1.616v, I manually set the voltage down 1.6 to make sure the AUTO setting does not go above the 1.65v mark.

Archived