Corsair Community

Failed Power Supply?

loavesfishescom

Ok I'm Stuck!

I replaced a cheap faulty power supply on a clients computer (the fan was failing and the top of the case would get very hot) with a good quality Corsair 400CX power supply. It powered up fine, and ran for about a week continuously (computer wasn't shut off).

My client shut off his computer, and it wouldn't turn back on. Nothing happens when I press the power button: no sounds, no clicks, nothing! How odd. There is one stick of ram in it.

Even further, when I opened up the case the first time (with the failing old power supply), it wouldn't boot up until it sat for a few minutes-- it was doing the same thing as now. Then, it powered on. Could this be related? maybe it is coincidence and not the power supply at all.

I am reviewing how to test a PS with a multi-meter in the mean time. Please help me solve this problem. Thank you.

• Corsair Employees

If the system was functional with the older PSU I would reinstall it and see if you have the same issues. I would also recommend that you reset the BIOS either by removing the motherboard battery and unplugging the PSU or by using the CLRTC jumper on the motherboard. You may want to test the PSU in a different system to see if you can duplicate the same issues and if so, then we would want to replace the unit for you.

You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived