Corsair Community

TR3X6G1600C8D, P6T, i7 920 - No speed above 1066

bluevanken

I have been getting random Blue Screen stop errors with the 6 Gig Dominator Ram modules (TR3X6G1600C8D) with the error "Memory Management" and I have to reboot the system. It does not seem to happen under large workloads such as gaming or Prime95 tests, etc. It only happens when doing simple tasks such as browsing the internet or reading email.

I have tried all kinds of settings in the ASUS P6T Bios to try to get this ram stable, but it only seems to be stable with all of the bios settings set at "auto" with no overclocking. When I set the memory voltage at its recommended settings of 1.64v or 1.66v DRAM Bus Voltage & 1.35v QPI with timing at 8-8-8-24-2N, I get the BSOD error along with errors when I run Memtest86. I ran Memtest86 over night with motherboard settings at auto causing the DRAM Bus voltage to be 1.50v and QPI to be 1.20v and got no errors. However, changing the DRAM Bus back to 1.64 and QPI to 1.35 gives me errors in Memtest86.

Please let me know if anyone out there is having the same issues and have found a solution? The version on my ram is 3.1 so I am wondering if RMA'ng this ram to a later version would help. Are there any settings in the BIOS or Windows 7 64 bit OS that I need to change? All of the chipset drivers are up to date for the motherboard including the latest bios 0904. Do you think adding a fan cooler to the ram would allow for higher voltage settings and overclocking and avoid the blue screen errors?

I have also tried the following settings in the bios with no luck:

1) CPU Voltage 1.35v, CPU Pll Voltage 1.96v, QPI 1.35v, DRAM Bus 1.64v, CPU Diff Amplitude 800mV.

2) CPU Voltage 1.35v, CPU Pll Voltage 1.88v, QPI 1.35v, DRAM Bus 1.64v, CPU Diff Amplitude 800mV.

3) Overclocked CPU to 3 ghz by increasing BCLK only to 150 using muliplier of 20. (I am not looking to do any major overclocking, 3ghz at the most since I have a stock cpu fan only.)

Thank you in advance to any help or ideas you may have. I will also post a solution if I find one.

Thanks for your help Yellowbeard.

I cleared the CMOS, enabled the XMP profile and set the DRAM frequency to 1333 mhz (Disabled Turbo and speedstep). I ran Memtest86 last night for about 4 hours with no errors. I will eventually be overclocking the i7 920 cpu to 3 ghz using a BCLK of 150 which will bump up the DRAM frequency to about 1500 mhz (I will be increasing the BCLK only with everything else on auto).

Is it ok to run this ram at this frequency with an i7 920 to remain stable? If I am overclocking the cpu to 3 ghz, should I drop the DRAM frequency down to 1200 mhz? Are there any other P6T bios settings that would help this ram remain stable at these speeds?

I will continue testing at this current setup along with incremental BCLK increases of 2 in order to test for Blue Screen errors.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi,

I have the same pretty much the same issue.

My specs are i7 920 - TR3X6G1600C7D - P6T Deluxe v2

I've got 6gb in there and it runs perfectly at 1066mhz (everything in BIOS AUTO). I do however have the timings set at 7-7-7-20 and it runs fine.

As soon as I push it up to 1333mhz, Windows will crash. 1600mhz same thing.

If I enable XMP in BIOS, it will set it to it's XMP settings, but will only recognise 4gb, if I manually turn the timings down to 8-8-8-21, then it will see 6gb but still unstable...

Time to RMA?

Ok, I am back to getting Blue Screen Memory Management errors!

I have done nothing but run my computer for a couple of days based on Yellowbeard's suggestion after clearing the CMOS and setting the AI Tweaker profile to XMP with the DRAM frequency at 1333 mhz. My system seemed to run ok for a couple of days now I am back to where I started.

Please let me know if you have any additional suggestions.

Should I set the DRAM frequency to 1600 mhz and run Memtest86 overnight?

I am wondering if a more current version of this ram would work better (I am currently using version 3.1).

Thanks

Ok, I am back to getting Blue Screen Memory Management errors!

I have done nothing but run my computer for a couple of days based on Yellowbeard's suggestion after clearing the CMOS and setting the AI Tweaker profile to XMP with the DRAM frequency at 1333 mhz. My system seemed to run ok for a couple of days now I am back to where I started.

Please let me know if you have any additional suggestions.

Should I set the DRAM frequency to 1600 mhz and run Memtest86 overnight?

I am wondering if a more current version of this ram would work better (I am currently using version 3.1).

Thanks

Clear the CMOS, enter the BIOS and disable Legacy USB Support temporarily, enable XMP, and test each module individually with Memtest 4.0 for 3-5 passes each.

http://www.memtest.org

Ok, I updated the P6T Bios to version 1004, cleared the CMOS, disabled Legacy USB Support, enabled XMP mode with the frequency at 1600 mhz and disabled Turbo and Speedstep (everything else left at auto).

I ran Memtest 4.0 for 5 passes on each module with no errors in the same motherboard ram slot. I then ran 1 module in each of the other 2 ram slots for 5 passes with no errors.

Since everything seemed to be working good, I changed my DRAM Frequency in the Bios back to 1333 mhz and shut the computer down.

This morning, I only checked my email for a couple of minutes. During shutdown, windows installed an automatic update. I let the computer run for a while and came back to a blue screen memory management error!

Could this be due to the 1.66v DRAM Bus Voltage and 1.35v QPI setting for the XMP profile?

Please let me know if you have any further suggestions.

Thanks

Thanks for your help Yellowbeard.

I am now getting the blue screen memory management errors running in XMP mode at 1066 mhz. In order to stop getting these errors, I have to set all the motherboard settings to auto (lowers DRAM Bus voltage to 1.50v and QPI to 1.2v). Maybe the high voltage settings of XMP mode are causing these errors?

When running in XMP mode at 1600 mhz , there are no blue screen errors, but the system just locks up/freezes when doing simple tasks such as browsing the internet, reading email or just looking at the desktop without even moving the mouse.

I will go ahead and RMA these modules and see if it solves the problem.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Received my RMA and everything is working great! I now have Version 3.2 of my ram modules (TR3X6G1600C8D). I am also no longer getting any BSOD errors!

Thanks Corsair for the great support!

I also made the following changes to my system but I doubt these were the solution:

1) Disabled SpeedStep, Turbo, C1E Support, C-State and Q-Fan Monitoring in the bios.

2) Installed a Corsair Airflow Dominator fan to keep the ram cool.

3) Uninstalled/Rolled Back any system device drivers that were not Digitally signed drivers. Also made sure that all the system device drivers were meant for Windows 7 64-bit and not Vista, XP, etc.

Hope this helps anyone who may be experiencing the same problems.

Archived