Corsair Community

VX450W Clicking and Buzzing

Caseyd11

Have a 4 month old VX450w PSU (purchased 9/25/09) that began buzzing while idle a month after install, but it was intermittent so I just ignored it and ran SETI@home to load the system when I needed it quiet. Now, it is a constant electrical squeaking almost when idle, and while loaded, a clicking/ticking noise sounding like a coin rattling in a car cup holder starts in. That started a little over a month ago, but it was also so intermittent I just told myself to not be so critical. Now, it will go on clicking bouts that last upwards a minute. Some days it doesn't do it at all. It mostly happens under load. If anyone knows the specifics of system design and power distribution, loading the GPU with Collatz@home also stops the buzzing even if the processor is idle. I use my computer in a quiet room, so this noise is really distracting while doing schoolwork, and I am not going to disable anything on my computer just so the power supply can operate as it is designed to. It was silent when it was new, so I know it could do better.

I shouldn't be over the limit; the psu-recommending program on Corsair's site estimates that my setup could run on a 400w unit. The computer itself is very reliable, I commonly leave it running for over a week without any lockups or BSOD's. Just the noise that is irritating. Another way to describe the clicking is that it sounds like tapping the dumb end of one of those clear bic pens. It's not constant, like something is protruding on the fan--I might only hear one click every 30 seconds...then 2-3 clicks, then nothing. Really baffling lol. Hope Corsair is willing to rma it, because there's nothing I can do to even troubleshoot clicking or buzzing without cracking it open.

Archived