Corsair Community

VX 550w faulty?

adels

I built two identical configurations as stated in my PC specs. First 10 days both computers operated flawlessly. Then, on one computer, there was a system failure. Computer restarts and there was a diskboot error. I managed to boot with Hiren's Boot CD and repair error on disk with Norton Disk Doctor, but every couple of days same problem occurs. I suspected that hard disk is faulty.

But after one restart computer wont boot. System powers up for split second and turns off, then after couple of seconds tries again and cycle repeats. I tried paperclip test and fan spins. I swapped PSU with PSU from second computer and same thing happened on that computer, and first computer boots without problems. So definitely is PSU to blame.

What is interesting when I tried broken PSU on older computer with DFI LanParty motherboard, it works. I hooked up 24-pin ATX and one molex connector provided on board and 4-pin ATX 12v I left empty (because PSU ATX is 8-pin). So I tried same thing on new computer, I only connected 24-pin ATX but again system powers up for split secon and turns off.

• Corsair Employees

If you would like to have us relpace the PSU for you, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

If the PSU is working in a different system without any problems, then I would not suspect a replacement would resolve the issue. It sounds like there may be a short somewhere or possibly a component is going out of spec. You may want to remove the board from the case and detach anything that you can from the motherboard, to see if you can duplicate the same issues. Also, I would suggest resetting the BIOS if you have not tried it yet.

Archived