Corsair Community

How do I use to full potential

smilerclan

Hello all,

I have looked on this forum for some time but cant really find an answer, and ones that are close are years old now so not sure if still relevant so here goes.

I want to upgrade my memory but I want to get the most from it at the same time. At first I thought I had it all worked out until I started reading forums and then it got all confusing and now I just need pointing in the right direction so please correct me where I am wrong all help is welcome.

1. Original idea - my board says it supports 8GB and 1066MHz so lets whack two TWIN2X4096-8500C5D kits in giving me the maximum amount my board supports.

Bombshell - My board does not support 4 modules of RAM running at 1066MHz

2. Plan B - Ok lets install 2 TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX kits (or Q2X8G6400C4DHX) instead then so I still getting my 8GB but at slower speed.

Bombshell - Running 4 modules of RAM is/can be unstable and difficult to get right

3. Hmm how about back to plan 1 but only install 1 TWIN2X4096-8500C5D kit giving me 4GB at 1066MHz?

So can some kind person please help me clear things up a little what can and cant I do and what is the better option 4GB but across two modules and the faster speed of 1066 or can i install 2 4GB modules giving me 8GB but more stable.

Am I correct in thinking I cant run more than two at 1066Mhz?

Should I scrap the idea of running at 1066 and stick with 800MHz?

If I did go with TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX will they be compatible with my current 2GB of memory I currently have giving me 6GB total until I can get some more money for a second kit?

I really am open to suggestions here because I am really stuck and just have no idea what to do. Maybe I am completely wrong and there is a better set-up.

Thanks very much

• Corsair Employees

It is never a good Idea to mix sets of modules and we do not test Twin sets 4 up. If you want 8 Gig I would suggest using one of our Quad sets like the one you mentioned, Q2X8G6400C4DHX!

If you do mix two Twin sets of modules DDR667 or DDR800 would be suggested.

Thanks for your response but can you help me out with some of my other queries in my first post.

Can I use 8GB of 1066MHz and if so 2 sticks of 4GB or 4 sticks of 2GB?

Or should I stick with 8GB at 800MHz?

If I go with the quad kit discussed will this be stable as others seem to have problems?

Or should I just stick with 2 sticks of 2GB giving me 4GB in total at 1066MHz?

I always thought the more memory the better as the load will be distributed across more slots ie better to have 1GB across four slots giving 4 GB total than 2GB across 2 slots giving 4GB total?

Please help me understand what my best options are and get the most from my board

Thanks again

• 4 weeks later...

Archived