Corsair Community

TX850W making alot of noise

koolaid

My 850tx PSU has started to make this constant loud grinding noise and i think its getting worse. It also makes this high pitch squeal or screech for a couple of seconds but sometimes it does it for 5-10 secs. It reminds me of the noise that my old PSU made before it randomly shut down my comp, crashed xp and finally died.

I just wanted to confirm that the 850tx is just right to power my comp. I do tend to leave my comp on during the weekdays 24/7.

• Corsair Employees

The PSU is definitely adequate for your system. I would make sure that you are able to reproduce the same issues when booting into safe mode, and if you still have the same problems then lets get the unit replaced!

You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Thanks for the quick reply =).

I forgot to add my Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT and DVD writer: Pioneer DVR-218LBK SATA 22x. Just in case you didn't see my edit before you replied.

What would booting in safe mode do? I'm just curious on how to proceed cause i'm not sure. The noise the PSU makes use to disappear after starting up my comp or when my room was warm. Now it just keeps making it regardless of the temp of the room, cold or warm.

Also, if i have an issue with the new PSU you send, does the 5year warranty still apply for that one too?

• Corsair Employees

The PSU is still plenty powerful for that system.

If you are not able to duplicate the issues in safe mode then I would suspect an issue with the video driver and the graphics card, which we have seen from time to time.

The new PSU will carry the same 5 year warranty.

Archived