Corsair Community

Corsair H50's Thermal Paste

Raul-7

Well I changed out CPU's and hence lost most of the thermal paste that was originally on the water block. I applied AS5 and my temperatures have never been the same and not in a good way. Did some research and found out that Corsair uses Shin Etsu X23-7783D so I bought some but have yet to receive it.

Anyways, my question is why is the thermal paste applied over the entire block when only a fraction of it covers the CPU? Is it for more surface area?

http://www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=19047

Dam near. I'm just asking, do I need to apply that much for optimal temperatures or can I just cover the CPU itself?

Just clean off the pump & apply new tim only to the CPU. Spread it very thinly. That's the norm for all coolers, I see no reason to spread it wider then your Processor.

Well I changed out CPU's and hence lost most of the thermal paste that was originally on the water block. I applied AS5 and my temperatures have never been the same and not in a good way. Did some research and found out that Corsair uses Shin Etsu X23-7783D so I bought some but have yet to receive it.

Did you apply the AS5 as per the instructions on the AS web site? I've done so and it spreads perfectly. When I removed my H50 I found that the pre-applied TIM had spread out over the entire CPU and onto the mounting bracket - it was quite messy.

Just a thought, but the reason your AS5 temps may be poorer is because the pre-applied paste on the Corsair is pre-cured - you won't get that just by applying the same paste.

Did you apply the AS5 as per the instructions on the AS web site? I've done so and it spreads perfectly. When I removed my H50 I found that the pre-applied TIM had spread out over the entire CPU and onto the mounting bracket - it was quite messy.

Just a thought, but the reason your AS5 temps may be poorer is because the pre-applied paste on the Corsair is pre-cured - you won't get that just by applying the same paste.

I applied it manually (ie. with my finger in a plastic bag) to ensure complete application. I tried the line method but I found that it didn't spread over the entire CPU.

The Shin Etsu paste requires 1 hour or so of curing while AS5 requires 200 hours before it "works".

Archived