Corsair Community

Gigabyte x58A-UD7 Compatibility?

ben23

This is quite unfortunate. I wanted to side step compatibility issues by asking the "RAMGUY" I asked what would be compatible with my Gigabyte ud7 and i7 975 he linked me a link and from this link I said oooo so these nice 6gb kits 2000mhz 8-7-8- 20 Corsair Dominator GT's which cost a whopping 450 dollars would work with my system build? I was given the green light (not suggesting it is Ramguy's fault but just what I went through to avoid this) Gigabyte gives me the green light 2100+ DDR tri channel all the bells and whistle. Low and behold I can not run the 6gb kit pass 1474 mhz enabling xmp profile does not give me a stable system that can pass memtest. I have been tweaking/ reading forums/ calling Corsair Tech support/ nothing works. Then on my hours of reading the forums I see many people with Giga boards are having compatibility issues with Corsair especially anything over 1600... so.. is this a motherboard issue or a RAM issue? I have tested each indivdual module and out of 6 modules (yes I bought 2 sets of 6gb) one module was defective and could not run at its rated speed by itself! Now, the other 3 indivdually working modules simply can not work together pass 1474. These modules are the CMG6Gx3M3A200C7 which cost a pretty penny, I would like to get them to work on my Giga board since I do not see why they would be incompatible so I do not need to return the RAM and buy new RAM. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. I have disabled XMP and set everything manually I have run XMP and lowered my mem multiplier to 1474 I have tried timings of 9-9-9 24, 8-8-8-24, tried increasing IOH core QPI/VTT CPU Voltage Dram Voltage, made sure the ram speed is half the uncore, tried to find stability between a difference of 0.1-0.5 between the Ram volage and QPi relation, I have upped DRAM to 1.7 and back down to 1.66 I have upped QPI/VTT to 1.69! and back down to 1.175 I have head it may be a user problem with the settings of IOH, QPI/VTT and Dram voltage. I find this hard to be applicable to my case since I have tweaked/ took suggestions from many on different settings and can not find stability pass 1333 with three modules. This is a last ditch effort before I return both kits of these beautiful yet deadly 2000mhz Corsair Dominator (2x6gb). The funny thing was I thought I would be able to get all 12gb stable at 1800, but I can't even get 6gb stable at advertised settings.

The modules run fine on other boards and even Gigabyte X58 boards. The UD-7 is relatively new so I would suspect it is a BIOS issue.

Also, there is very little chance you will get 12GB to DDR2000 anyway due to the load limitations on the memory controller. I would suggest running 1 kit if you want DDR2000 or or, if you need 12GB, you'll have to run them at a reduced speed or get the 1600 kit.

The modules run fine on other boards and even Gigabyte X58 boards. The UD-7 is relatively new so I would suspect it is a BIOS issue.

Also, there is very little chance you will get 12GB to DDR2000 anyway due to the load limitations on the memory controller. I would suggest running 1 kit if you want DDR2000 or or, if you need 12GB, you'll have to run them at a reduced speed or get the 1600 kit.

How do I find out for sure if its a bios problem and not a RAM problem or a hardware motherboard problem? I am nearing the exchange date for my Giga board and my refund date for my Corsair Ram, not quite sure what to do in order to isolate what my issue is so I can work towards a solution. I agree that running one kit is the best I will be able to do, so I will return one kit, but to get one kit to work on my system brings me back to my original problem/ plus I have posted on tech forums of Giga and no real response yet to my issue, just people saying its RAM issues. Thank You for your fast reply pretty remarkable.

First, try the system with 6GB RAM only and see how it does. Since the memory you purchased is 2 individual pairs of 6GB, the rated specs are for using each pair alone. It is not tested as a 12GB configuration and there are no guarantees that it will work and with what speed.

A 12GB configuration is expected to run at lower timings (as a rought guess, the higest stable 6GB configuration at 1T command rate, will run stable at 12GB with 2T command rate).

I also wanted 12GB RAM at faster than 1600, but didn't buy 2 individual 6GB kits as I was certain it wouldn't work at it's rated specs. The kit I got runs properly with this board at its XMS profile (1.65V MEM, 1.35V QPI/VTT). Only problem is that it uses all the memory slots and loads the memory controller more. I can get a higher CPU overclock with 3 pairs of RAM. Now I need 1.5V QPI/VTT for a stable 200BCLK clock. With 3 pairs you get 200 at stock voltage

I have been trying to get the 6gb to work at rated speed, so only one kit. I have not been successful at all. I think the memory is just not compatible with my board, or a bios update is badly needed. Either or it still will not work with my board for now, so I think I must depart with them in search of ram that will work with my giga ud7. If anyone has suggestions I am looking for a 6gig set up around 2000mhz.

Archived