Corsair Community

CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 and X58 compatibility issue

SkullTrail

Howdo everyone! If anyone has any insight that would be great.

At cold boot, the system bios as well as Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) reports 8184MB RAM. Memtest 4, CPU-Z (64bit) - report 12GB.

Here is what has been done:

1) Ran memtest on each stick, each slot, and each additive memory stick until all sticks were run - no errors (ran overnight)

2) Set XMP profile (1.65 - 1.35), but here is the interesting thing. All 12GB show up (12280bios - 12279 W7U). Ran fine all day. Cold boot next morning - 8184GB again.

3) Change the memory settings to whatever I want - 1066Mhz (1.5V - 1.2V) - 12GB shows up in the bios and W7U. Next morning - cold boot - back to 8184MB

4) Slack off the timing - 99924 - 12GB shows up again, cold boot - 8GB!!

5) Manually enter specs 1333, 1.65 - 1.35, reboot - 12GB. Cold boot - 8GB!!

6) Loosen the heatsink until it is almost dangling off the mount - no difference. Reseat CPU - no difference. Check pins with a stereo dissecting microscope - perfect condition. Swap out CPU for a 920 D0 - no difference. Run CPU at 1.6Ghz - no difference. Reseat all strips of RAM - no difference.

No matter what I do I cannot see 12GB at boot. If I change one setting in the RAM - I see all 12GB - UNTIL next COLD, not warm, reboot. System runs perfectly at 1,600Mhz RAM settings with 12GB (assuming I have toggled it to report 12GB)

On the cold boots - bios reports 8GB - CPU-Z shows 12GB! Go back into the bios - toggle anything - increase or decrease timing, lower the voltage - whatever - I see 12GB - until the next cold boot.

So, here is my take on things.

RAM, mobo and CPU cannot be bad as system runs solidly. Pins must be making contact or else I would not be able to get 12GB by simply toggling things. Same goes for the slots.

But I am a loss as to why the system reports 8GB on cold boot. Any suggestions may be helpful - thanks.:confused:

Yes - I exhausted every possiblity in that thread - including the fact that none of the modules/slots/pins/retention mechanisms/mounts etc. etc. etc. are bad - at least not by serial testing. Thanks anyway. :confused:

Have you tried tweaking any voltages other than the memory voltage? I don't see that in your posts.

You say BIOS shows 8GB and CPU-Z shows 12GB. Who is correct. How much RAM is operational? Maybe it is just a BIOS display bug.

BTW, I've heard others speaking about this problem at xtremesystems. Didn't hear anyone solving it. Maybe the CPU memory controller in some CPUs is not same as capable in handling all memory channels loaded at overclocked memory speeds.

Clear your CMOS and see if either kit of 3 modules will run at their rated specifications using the XMP settings. My guess is that you have either a weak or failing CPU or possibly a bad motherboard.

I find it difficult to accept it's a failing mobo as it is brand new. Moreover, if I toggle the memory settings it runs all 12GB. Additionally I've tried 3 different CPUs with the same outcome - I also doubt it is any of the CPUs. The board passes each test with flying colours and is rock solid stable. I have read many posts about others with similar issues RMAing their boards, CPUs and RAM only to have the exact same problem persist. I have absolutely no stability issues whatsoever. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that there may be a problem when the bios performs its initial memory count/check. There may be a legitimate fail flag causing this disparity or it may be a false positive. I ran Memtest 4.00 for 2 days with 12GB registering at its advertised specs with zero errors.

I would like to know what the issue is before I make any rash decisions and send anything back. If I didn't need the memory capacity I would just run 6GB, but unfortunately I do.

Not to be overly simplistic but, occasionally electronic parts fail. It could easily be the MOBO. There have been various issues relating to the sockets and how the CPU seats when it mates to the pins. Also, aftermarket cooling can warp the board causing the CPU to not seat properly. So, if the RAM is not defective and you have tried different CPUs, then that leaves only the board.

If the issue is with the MOBO, the question is, is it BIOS or hardware relate?.

Pull your CPU and take a VERY close look at the impression the socket pins have made into the pads on the CPU. You may need a magnifying glass for this.

Also, what cooler are you using? Do you have a stock Intel CPU cooler on hand for testing?

I just read your initial post again. My suggestion is to RMA the motherboard.

I'm happy to report I solved the problem.

As I suspected, it was the bios all along. Now it always shows 12GB regardless of the timings or voltage settings.

Thanks for the tips anyway.

Me too please. I have had this problem since day one. Reseated the CPU, the contacts look good and the fact that when the system warm boots there are not problems suggests that the cpu fitting is good.

This almost feels like there is not enough power in the caps to do a full ram count on POST. If I immediately turn the system off and back on again, 12GB is shown. Please help. Love the system I have now, just this one issue to deal with.

For those of you adding your names to this thread, please post your system specifications as requested at registration if you have not already done so and start your own thread. Keep in mind that if you have different hardware, the solutions offered for a different hardware profile may not work for you.

I can get my system to recognise 12gb of ram. Off a cold boot its a different story, only 10gb comes up. I then reset defaults, restart the pc and 12gb shows up. I then increase base clock to 160, ram ratio 2:10 (1600mhz), vtt +150, RAM voltage 1.65, save and exit. Then go back into bios and 12gb is there. In windows its all there, all tests pass with flying colours. I just cant get it to work off a cold boot, whether its default settings or overclocked settings. Would you have any idea why??

I can get my system to recognise 12gb of ram. Off a cold boot its a different story, only 10gb comes up. I then reset defaults, restart the pc and 12gb shows up. I then increase base clock to 160, ram ratio 2:10 (1600mhz), vtt +150, RAM voltage 1.65, save and exit. Then go back into bios and 12gb is there. In windows its all there, all tests pass with flying colours. I just cant get it to work off a cold boot, whether its default settings or overclocked settings. Would you have any idea why??

Please start your own thread. List in YOUR thread if you tried the X58 troubleshooting tips?

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82274

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently purchased 2 x TR3X6G1333C7G packs from a vendor in Australia. As explained in my previous posts, I have had a cold boot issue where the system would only see 8Gb of memory instead of 12Gb installed. In the bios, one memory channel would be un-responsive. See image of MIA channel. After a reboot, all channels were in action again. I have performed various diagnostic tests and experiments and have nailed it down to 1 memory dim. Here is my test and the results.

Memory Pack Ids & DIMM numbers

ACCQ100100872 – Dimm 1, 2 & 3

ACCQ100100873 – Dimm 4, 5 & 6

Grouped all dims into their respective packs to ensure that compatibility is as good as it gets.

Installed the RAM in the following order 14-25-36

On cold boot, the following was recorded over a number of days and changes to the DIMM placements:

A B C

1&4 2&5 3&6 = Channel C was MIA

1&4 3&5 2&6 = Channel C was MIA

1&4 2&6 3&5 = Channel B was MIA

1&6 2&5 3&4 = Channel A was MIA

As you can see, DIMM3 (6) in pack ACCQ100100873 has a problem that appears to be killing the memory channel.

Must I contact the vendor for a product exchange or Corsair?

attachment.php?attachmentid=6460&stc=1&d=1265179592

MIA.thumb.jpg.d66133b5fcc4788dd8a9f0efc92c79d3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Updating the BIOS doesn't fix the problem, I have the exact same problem as Skulltrail and eleventler to whom Yellowbeard told to start his own thread for no smart reasons...

What's the FIX? I mean I got the best board with the top RAM and off a cold boot I get 10 GB then sometimes 8 and even 6 GIG what a hell is the problem? I'm not going to do all what skulltrail did for god's sake but he said he found a trick in the BIOS... thanks for NOT telling us!

Updating the BIOS doesn't fix the problem, I have the exact same problem as Skulltrail and eleventler to whom Yellowbeard told to start his own thread for no smart reasons...

Actually, I had very good reasons to advise the customer to start his own thread. I advised the customer above to start a different thread because he has both a different CPU and different MOBO than the person who started this thread. The same advice may not apply to both customers and, I wanted both customers to have their own thread so that their individual issues both get the proper attention. Please don't confuse the issue here by going off topic.

Archived