Corsair Community

couple quick Q's

Raves

Q's:

1. Is it unlikely that a 2 pairs dominators of different sizes (TWIN2X4096-8500C5D and TWIN2X2048-8500C5D) will work together 4 up on the ASUS P5Q Pro at 1066 Mhz?

2. Is it likely that the same setup would work at 800 Mhz?

3. Given that my useage is internetz0rs, gaming, music and movies would I be better off with 6GB at 800 Mhz, or 4GB at 1066 Mhz?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Basically any memory of the same type would work together. If the speeds are different than the mobo takes the lower speed so the other faster memory aren't working to their full potential.

Yes the setup would work at 800Mhz.

Applications that use large amounts of space you should buy memory with the larger capacity. But if it means you would be going slower it is not advised. For me 6Gb is a little overkill, if your really worried about how much memory your computer is working with then just set your virtual memory higher. If you play games on your spare time it's better to go with smaller capacity and higher speeds so that the rest of your computers applications will run much faster.

Cheers d00d.

All 4 sticks are rated at 1066, and if I run either matched pair alone they do 1066 no problem.

From what I have read on the forums here, I seems as running 4 DIMMS at 1066 on the p45 is very difficult. I was just hoping to confirm that I had read this correctly be for trying in vain to stabilize 4 DIMMS at 1066.

As it is I have all 4 DIMMS running at 894 Mhz (447 FSB, 1:1) without issue. I think I may leave it at that unless I finding someone to buy my 2GB kit.

cheers.

in the mean time, I have give it a go and found that my 2 sets can do 1066 as well.

2.1 vMEM, 1.3 vNB 5-5-5-15

interestingly, this only works with the 2046 DIMMS in the yellow slots (1 and 3) and the 1024 DIMMS in teh blck slots (2 and 4).

Vice versa, and BSOD.

yup the colour co-ordination is key, but more than that - the larger pair of DIMMs need to be in the yellow slots (smaller DIMMs in black). If I put the smaller pair of DIMMs in yellow slots (with larger DIMMs in black slots) - BSOD.

whatta think makes that happen?

• Corsair Employees
Mixing different modules can be tricky and most likely if it works with them in one configuration and not another would be because of the way the memory controller is addressing the modules, it may not actually be accessing the first module in slot one it my be the last or third module that is the first module to the memroy controller.

Archived