Corsair Community

New Build H50 CPU_fan running to low??

Black104

Just put this together tonight i7 920, evga X58 -- Ran Coretemp -- readings are (@ Idle):

Core #0 38 C

Core #0 33 C

Core #0 40 C

Core #0 37 C

To high for my taste.

CPU is at stock speeds.

Opened up SpeedFan the readings are:

Fan1: 971 rpm (Corsair radiator fan) Bios set to smart fan

Fan4: 1427 rpm (Pump) Bios set to smart fan

Are my temps up because the Rad fan is running to low??

Thanks!

Black

I dont think your idle temps are bad at all considering thats a 130W quad.

My 80W dual core idles at about that same temp on my H50 where the H50 shines is the upper load temps. Checkout your load temps................

Well I have another comp -- EVGA FTW i7 860 not (OCed) Idleing @ high 20's to low 30's same build -- the only thing thats different is the MB and CPU.

I see on your specs that you OCed your CPU, are those idle temps on that overclocked cpu?

Mine are at stock speeds.

If i had OCed then yeah that would be pretty good temp readings but i'm running stock speeds.

Thanks!

Black

Yea,

Mines OCed too and still cool but thats because its 80W and a quad with 2 cores shut down so they may act as coolers themselves.

Your other sys is not the same you just sad it uses a different CPU..................

You can't compare systems unless they use the same CPU. The 860 is a 95W CPU........

Of course its going to run cooler just like my 80W CPU does. Your dreaming if you think you can get a higher wattage CPU to run as cool as a lower wattage one.

As my next upgrade I was looking at the AMD 965 but even the 125W ver is more W then I want and the original 965s are 140W YIKES.....so Ill probably go with the 945 its 95W. Temps go hand in hand with the CPU wattage so its crutial to get as low a wattage CPU as poss. This is one reason I never buy a CPU soon as its churned out usually lower W versions of the same CPU come out lateron.

Thanks heliman41,

I'm just a little concerned , I mean I see people with Oced cpu's 920's with H50's ideling at my stock idle temps.

Shouldn't my stock temps be lower then their oced idle temps?

I'm pretty new to all this so please bare with me :)

-Black

Thanks heliman41,

I'm just a little concerned , I mean I see people with Oced cpu's 920's with H50's ideling at my stock idle temps.

Shouldn't my stock temps be lower then their oced idle temps?

I'm pretty new to all this so please bare with me :)

-Black

I think what id do is see what cases & setups the others are running, and pay special concern to the particular way they have their H50 setup. Also, your room temps could be higher then tehirs, ask them if poss what their ambient room temps are if your PC is setup same. Makes a huge difference im sorry to say. Water cooling systems only cool with water thats as cool as the room is.My PC is situated in the coolest part of my home which rarely reaches 70F if that...........usually I keep it down to 68F, any lower my joints begin to ache but the H50 sure likes it cooler.

One more point is that not all CPUs are the same some OC better & some run cooler, I have a Phenom 9850 2.5 quad that because of its steppings it simply wont OC more then .1 GHZ and runs really hot if its OCed at all, I know others who have the same CPU but with different steppings and they have them running cool & well over 3.0GHZ. Luck of the draw...........

When you do OC don't up the voltage on the CPU just change the frequency multiplier if possible, that will keep the temps as low as you can. You will reach a point where it will become unstable and needs more voltage thats when you must decide is it worth it really or just back the OC down a tad & live with it. Safest OC anyway. Ive got a really good chip as I didn't have to up the v not the norm however. It was so flat one would think it had been lapped also, I am certain thats another reason its so cool. I checked it with a razers edge before installing it. Flattest CPU ive ever seen stock. When I upgrade somebody is going to get very lucky..................

Archived