Corsair Community

Windows 7 and Corsair Voayger 16 GB not working

tomlut

My 16GB Corsair Voyager works well on XP and Vista PCs but refuses to work with my Windows 7 laptop.

The first time I plugged it in it crashed the laptop after installing the plug and play driver.

I confirmed the drive still worked in other PCs then tried the Windows 7 laptop again (after a restart).

It no longer crashes the laptop but does not show up in My Computer.

Uninstalling the driver and reinstalling the drive makes no difference. Trying to update the driver informs me I have the latest version.

Windows disk management console is unable to format or change the drive letter but can see the correct sized drive.

Windows error logs report "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR3."

But as I said, the drive performs flawlessly on my Vista and XP PCs (even copying large files).

Other flash drives work perfectly in the same usb port on the laptop.

The Panasonic SD format utility is unable to discover the drive either.

Any ideas?

Windows error logs report "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR3."

I get 4 of these errors in Windows 7 64 bit everytime I insert any of my Corsair Voyager sticks. But yet they work fine.

• Corsair Employees

trond, please start your own thread, and with a Windows XP System do you get any errors?

Please try and format the drive with the Format utility from the SD-CARD Organization. Then run the test again and see if that helps.

tomlut,

We can try and replace the drive but if it turns out to be a fake drive they will not replace it and will not send it back to you. I would ask where it was purchased and if it was purchase from Ebay you should go back to that reseller for a refund! Or if it was purchased from an authorized reseller then let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it.

trond, please start your own thread, and with a Windows XP System do you get any errors?

I already made a thread about it, some weeks ago. Why would I want to start my own thread? I was trying to help the original poster, as those errors in the event log could possibly be unrelated (since I get them too but the sticks work fine otherwise).

Update:

I obtained another identical drive and it works as expected.

The only difference between the two is that the drive that does not work with the Win 7 laptop is formatted NTFS the drive that does work is formatted FAT32.

I'm going to copy off my files and try reformatting the non working drive to use FAT32 (using my XP PC).

I reforrmatted the drive using the utility you provided but it still refuses to work on the Laptop.

The identical replacement drive I obtained is working perfectly.

It's not worth the bother to return (though I do have an RMA).

Thanks for your help.

Archived