Corsair Community

When will mac-users have trim or performance-improvement tools?

mac_31

Hi,

The title says it all. Cool that windows7 users have trim now, but what about us mac users? Now that I've used all the memory cells on my P128 the speed has slowed down CONSIDERABLY. It's a big differnce, also in reading speed. I notice how big word documents etc. takes quite a bit longer to open. etc..etc..

Speedwise it feels more like a normal HD, than an SSD...

This was an expensive purchase, and to see such a huge speed decrease is a bummer.. Is there hope for us mac users?

Thanks for listening(?).

What firmware do you have?

From what I understand, if you have VBM18C1Q or later, when you do a cold boot and leave your computer idle for approx 60 minutes, and have atleast 15% free space, the SSD controller will clear those cells. Since you have a MAC, maybe you could pull that drive and put it into a PC just to update the firmware. It's not ideal but it's an option.

-Joe

Well, looks like I have to buy another brand of SSD next time.. The P128 was FAST initially, but there's too much slowdown on these models! I appreciate the fact that win users are better off now, but for a pure mac-user like me that doesn't help much... :(

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest using what ever utility that will work for Mac to image the drive to another drive then erase it with Parted Mgaic and image the information back to the drive. But for most there is not an issue using the Mac O.S. it does not function that same as Microsoft's NTFS and should not be affected.

Archived