Corsair Community

P256 on macbook 5,1

Hi,

I just purchased Corsair P256 (256GB) SSD. While waiting to arrive,

there are several stuff I'd need to understand. I understand the more

recent macbook pro's have problems with the SATA II incompatibility.

It looks like for the unibody macbook, it has SATA II compatibility with the

same NVidia chipset (I confirm this from the system profiler).

BTW, I run OSX 10.6.2.

1. Alignment procedure.

How do I align the SSD when making partition? What is the offset I would need to use? I learned that with windows 7/vista, it automatically adds an offset so no alignment is necessary. In that case, can I use windows vista to format a <1 MB partition to align the blocks, and then install snow leopard on the subsequent empty partition? Or, more easy, does OSX 10.6 automatically aligns itself.

2. firmware update.

I purchased the drive on Dec. 31. I wonder if the recent firmware has been uploaded. Is there a way to update the firmware from a macbook? I don't know what version of dos it supports. I know that both the idle time GC and TRIM are not supported on non-NTFS and non-windows 7, respectively. But I may choose later to bootcamp windows 7. BTW, do you have plans to extend the GC to HFS+? It would be a great thing to do!

3. format

I am not familiar with OSX's terms for formatting. I don't remember seeing 'quick' format, which I would need to do. Can you guide me, or give me a link to a thread where these issues have been resolved.

4. Time machine

What would happen if I time-machine back (or clone the drive)? Would it fill the empty blocks, eventually making everything slower?

I am looking forward to see the SSD improvements on my macbook! Hopefully, I get also 220/200 read/write speeds!

Thanks for your time

• Corsair Employees

1. Alignment procedure.

How do I align the SSD when making partition? What is the offset I would need to use? I learned that with windows 7/vista, it automatically adds an offset so no alignment is necessary. In that case, can I use windows vista to format a <1 MB partition to align the blocks, and then install snow leopard on the subsequent empty partition? Or, more easy, does OSX 10.6 automatically aligns itself.

A: Not needed with the latest version of Snow leopard, just do the install it will quick format the drive by default.

2. firmware update.

I purchased the drive on Dec. 31. I wonder if the recent firmware has been uploaded. Is there a way to update the firmware from a macbook? I don't know what version of dos it supports. I know that both the idle time GC and TRIM are not supported on non-NTFS and non-windows 7, respectively. But I may choose later to bootcamp windows 7. BTW, do you have plans to extend the GC to HFS+? It would be a great thing to do!

A: The latest Firmware update adds support for Windows 7 Trim command only there is no reason to use this version or update. I would suggest you NOT Update the firmware and just use the drive as is.

3. format

I am not familiar with OSX's terms for formatting. I don't remember seeing 'quick' format, which I would need to do. Can you guide me, or give me a link to a thread where these issues have been resolved.

A: As mentioned previously If you do a fresh install the O.S. will quick format by default.

4. Time machine

What would happen if I time-machine back (or clone the drive)? Would it fill the empty blocks, eventually making everything slower?

A: I would suggest asking on the Apple forum for more help with this.

Archived