Corsair Community

H50 installation hassle

giskard

When installing the H50 in my P193 case, I cannot refit and close the side-panel because the H50's mounting screws interfere with the rear edge of the panel. If the mounting screws were countersunk like the original case fan screws, there'd be no problem.

Perhaps Corsair should consider this and supply countersunk screws as I'm sure other cases would have this problem when installing the H50.

Maybe you could modify the side case panel with a few notches? Case widths are the largest snafu with the H-50 radiator wider is a REAL plus in a case. My case I bought explictly for the H50 measures a tad over 8" wide....................

Which case is that?

When installing the H50 in my P193 case, I cannot refit and close the side-panel because the H50's mounting screws interfere with the rear edge of the panel. If the mounting screws were countersunk like the original case fan screws, there'd be no problem.

Perhaps Corsair should consider this and supply countersunk screws as I'm sure other cases would have this problem when installing the H50.

If you replace the #6 screws with button head screws cut down just long enough to attach the fan to the radiator. you could use regular case fan screw to mount them both to the case.

If you replace the #6 screws with button head screws cut down just long enough to attach the fan to the radiator. you could use regular case fan screw to mount them both to the case.

Sorry, but I don't quite understand what you mean - could you please be clearer?

I'm attaching the radiator to the existing rear case fan which is configured as an intake, so to do that I need to use screws that are just long enough to pass through the existing 25mm deep case fan and into the radiator threaded holes. The Corsair-supplied screws are already button-head screws.

I'm suggesting that you screw the fan directly to the radiator using the flange nearest the radiator. That leaves the holes on the other end free to accept the normal fan screws installed through the case. I purchased the screws for mine, but haven't had a chance to install them. In my situation, (I have a 800D), I doing it so I can have a flat surface in the back to permit use of a fan filter. I recommended button head screws so you can use an allen wrench to install them.

I'm suggesting that you screw the fan directly to the radiator using the flange nearest the radiator. That leaves the holes on the other end free to accept the normal fan screws installed through the case. I purchased the screws for mine, but haven't had a chance to install them. In my situation, (I have a 800D), I doing it so I can have a flat surface in the back to permit use of a fan filter. I recommended button head screws so you can use an allen wrench to install them.

Providing that they fan mounts aren't sealed from one hole to another like some fan manufactures seem to be doing these days. :(

That's what I thought you were getting at, but wasn't sure. Good idea though I'd be concerned about the weight of the rad and the fan on fasteners designed for just the lightweight plastic fan

If you're worried about the screws themselves shearing, I don't think that's very likely. The more likely scenario would be them stripping their “threads” in the plastic flanges. But I don’t think they’re going to experience that kind of force.

There's not a lot of weight on the radiator, (at least in my installations). The hoses are secured to the motherboard, and their support offsets part of that weight as well. In fact, for one of my builds, that positions the hoses on the top, the radiator will hold itself in position just by the elasticity of the hoses. The screws basically just need to hold it against the case.

If you’re worry about the fan housing itself failing, (and you don’t a Classified MB in an 800D), you could substitute an S-Flex or similar fan with a little more meat on it.

There's not a lot of weight on the radiator, (at least in my installations). The hoses are secured to the motherboard, and their support offsets part of that weight as well. In fact, for one of my builds, that positions the hoses on the top, the radiator will hold itself in position just by the elasticity of the hoses. The screws basically just need to hold it against the case.

You're quite right, having the hoses at the top of the case would mean less strain on the case fan's mounting screws, but for smaller/tighter case with roof fans, the hoses might block or otherwise interfere with the fans.

Thanks for your help

Archived