Corsair Community

WTF Maximum PC H50 review????

tehdudeman

Look what they say on Maximum PC in the review of the H50:

"The pump uses a three-pin power lead, which needs to plug into the CPU fan power port on the motherboard, and the 12cm fan, confusingly, has a four-pin connector, which plugs into any other fan control port. We originally tried running the pump off a direct-power Molex and the fan off the CPU PWM port, but saw miserable performance. Only after reversing the two did we achieve the expected performance"

WTF, so they put the fan on direct-power and somehow hooked the 3 pin from the pump to the CPU PWM???? So then I would imagine the fan is running full blast and then they set the CPU fan adjust in BIOS to full on all the time for the pump to run full blast. At least I would think/hope that's what they did with the pump and CPU PWM in BIOS!?!

So I guess what they are saying, maybe, is that the fan must run at 100% to achieve good cooling???

Are they high, am I high, is Corsair high? What the H to the ELL is going on here?

tehdude

Why would you want the pump or the fan on anything except hi? Medium or low would obviously be a warmer setting. Dosen't matter what you plug the two plugs into so long as they don't get throttled down by bios settings.

Corsair reccomends the fan be plugged into the CPU PWM for fan control. Nowhere have I seen where they say the fan should run 100%. They do however say the pump must run 100%. So obviously Corsair thinks it's ok to throttle the fan, while Maximum PC says the fan running at 100% is the only way to get decent cooling. I've read on reviews that with the fan at 100, it's loud.

tehdude

lol, thedudeman that was a funny post!

im thinking that they didnt do enough reading or they are just rubbish at what they do :D:

Thanks, and, they used be anyway, a really good source of reviews for hardware. Now I'm starting to agree with you that something has gone awry.

My fan has never run over 1300 rpm,which is 400 rpm lower than 100% and my temps have never been over 48c.

Yes, but you're running AMD, I'll bet throttling the fan on an i5 OC'ed CPU would not be good.

They must of had the fan running on low..................or throttled down in bios. Like you said probably didnt have a clue.

Well if they didn't have a clue that's one thing, but if they are correct and the fan must run at 100%, then I'm not buying the H50. At 100% fan it's going to be loud, and , it already dumps CPU heat into the case but one's other case fans may be able to compensate and move that air out. But unless one has stellar cooling in the case, running the H50 fan at 100, the other case fans will be overwhelmed and now you've got a problem.

So, I say sorry Corsair, you make great memory but unless you can A. make the H50 more efficent so that the fan need not run full blast, or B. make the hoses long enough to get the radiator outside of the case, I'm not sold.

tehdude

My radiator fans run at 100% but my case fans are louder, I cannot hear the radiator fans or my pump. Have all my case fans on medium & the 140mm top case fan exiting out the topside on hi. Yep, to some the fan noise is a bother but to me its a sweet noise as its telling me cool fresh air is constantly being replenished. I still dont understand the must have a silent PC concept except in a notebook..........A bit anal IMHO. Life is too short to piss N moan over such trivial things.

Archived