Corsair Community

P64 Problem after updgrading to VBM19C1Q

xianp

Happy new year ! :laughing:

I recently bought a P64 at VBM18C1Q.

Worked fine on different barebones ASUS.

I installed Vista and Win7, just "to see".

No problem.

Then , I told me "why not to install VBM19C1Q" ?...

I did it , without any problem of installation and got the final message:

"VBM19C1Q" installed successfully".

Then, I tried to install again Vista (and Win7) on the same barebones...

And could not !

Installation stops and hangs at the end of installation, at the first time where the PC should reboot by itself, with the message (approx): "press any key to boot from the DVD" (which should normally be ignored, and the installation should go on by itself and end) .

The P64 contains data from the installation and can be read on another PC.

Why this installation is not going to its end ?

Is it possible to downgrade the firmware ? how ?

What mode is your SATA in? AHCI or IDE? Try to change that first.

Sounds stupid but you tried to reboot without the DVD installed, right? I know it's not normal but...

So I take it you did not have a backup of your system before you flashed the SSD?

-Joe

Joe,

Thank you for helping.

I don't know what is AHCI mode, I have no choice in my Bios, just IDE which is set to SATA mode. This was working OK before, at VBM18C1Q.

Of course, I tried removing The Windows install disk; gives (approx): "A disk read error occured, reinsert a correct disk" (wants to boot from DVD); if I push any key with the disk in place (before 5 seconds), it will start over the installation from scratch; after 5 seconds, it will hang.

No problem with backup: this is just a test installation; the P64 has just replaced a normal SATA system HDD wich is in a safe place....

Well you gave me some good information in your last posting, you can boot from a regular hard drive. And I'd like to say, I'm not treating you like an idiot when I make suggestions. I unfortunately don't know your skill level so I dumb things down. It's easy to assume and it can lead to spinning wheels. Here is something to try...

1. With your system running under your real hard drive, add the SSD and erase all the partitions.

The goal here is to start from scratch. There is a link on the first page of this forum about how to restore performance http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=81492 and it also wipes out all data on the drive. You could use that if you like.

2. Now your drive should be clean. Try to install Windoze 7 again.

Also, I don't recall but does Windoze 7 ask you to update files during the installation if you have a network connection? I ask because you could be stuck on a driver issue. If you normally answer yes, say no, and if you normally say no then say yes. I'm trying to change up what you're doing

3. Last option and it is a work around more than anything else...

a. Create a fresh install on a regular hard drive.

b. Create a backup of that new build.

c. Restore the new build to the SSD.

Last thing, this sounds more like a Windoze installation issue, meaning I think there is a way to install it. A search on the internet shows many prople are having problems and all the pointing is going to device drivers (video, USB, sound, ethernet, etc...) For some people they find the problem, others seemed to never find the answer.

Let me know how you make out.

-Joe

Joe,

I need to do a big "reset all", since my barebones do not support the AHCI business...

I just checked that on the Intel site: my southbridge is a ICH7, not compatible.

I should have checked that first, but I did not think upgrading the firmware could lead to getting lower characteristics.

My SSD works perfectly (HDTach:180) but cannot finish installing Win7 (I will check with Vista later on).

I wish I could return to the previous firmware, but I doubt it is possible....

I wonder how manage people who buy SDD at the last level ? Have they got the same kind of problem ?....

Thank you for your help. Have a good Sunday !

Forget it !

Everything is correct now (except AHCI is not for me): I did a Format (not the fast one) on the SSD and all went smooth....

I cannot explain why at VBM18C1Q I did not have this problem.

Sorry for the trouble !

Moderator, please delete this Thread, since it has no use.

Bye.

Glad to see you got it working. Odd that you needed to reformat the SSD but no one said Microsoft played well with others. This is why I call Windows, Windoze. As computers get faster, Bill keeps them in check with a more complex and poorly optimized OS. Don't worry about AHCI, it's no big deal right now. I was running it for about 3 weeks, now I'm back to IDE mode. All is fine for me.

-Joe

You know, AHCI may have been around for a few years, but it's not something you hear much about. IDE mode may be legacy but it's fully supported and is the popular one. I switched back just in case my SSD dies for some reason and when I restore my backup, the dog gone thing works. It could be another SSD or spinning hard drive, I'm compatable. I see no speed difference between the two modes. All I know is, or think I know is the AHCI will allow better power management of the drive. If you have a laptop, maybe that is a consern, but we have desktop units so the extra low power mode I might be missing, and maybe there is some other advanced feature but none of those are issues in my mind.

Maybe on my next computer will I look harder into AHCI to see if it's the popular choice. My main consern is compatability for the bad day we all will face when a hard drive goes down.

And I'm not putting down AHCI. I'm sure it does something good but to me it's not something I need to worry about at this time.

Glad to calm your mind.

-Joe

Archived