Corsair Community

H50 on Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2

bobcb

Planning a new build on this board and can't find a clear indication if the System Fan header is fixed speed or not (it's 4 pin PWM but the manual isn't clear if fan speed control only kicks in with a PWM fan or a 3pin fan). So my questions are...

1. Does anyone know about the speed control on the header and can I safely plug the pump header into it?

2. If not will this adapter be adequate to just run the pump header into the PSU?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1089/cab-04/3-pin_to_4-pin_Adapter.html?tl=g2c251s634#blank

3. And if not, a link to an adequate adapter would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

bobcb; I am in the same position as you using this board. According to my manual the SYS-FAN is pin1 Grnd, pin2 =12v/speed control, pin 3 sense and pin4 reserved so really it only a 3 pin. The CPU-FAN has the same pin config except pin4 is also labled as speed control.

As I understand it, the pump lead is plugged into the CPU-FAN and the radiator fan into SYS-FAN.

Is this right anyone? Confusion and conflicting views abound.

Personally, I'd rather put the pump on the CPU fan header. Not all secondary fan headers are monitored on all MOBOs. But, on any MOBO I have ever seen, the CPU fan header is monitored. If the device on that header fails, the system will shut down to avoid cooking the CPU. A fan failing is not nearly as bad as the pump failing and that is where you need the monitoring. But, either way is fine and is also dependent upon the MOBO.

Well it's been a week with the H50 installed and it's really great. I didn't even bother using the fan header on the board for the pump, went ahead and attached right to the CPU with the adapter I linked above. Temps are great and overall very happy. Great little unit.

Well it's been a week with the H50 installed and it's really great. I didn't even bother using the fan header on the board for the pump, went ahead and attached right to the CPU with the adapter I linked above. Temps are great and overall very happy. Great little unit.

Too late to edit, of course I meant attached it right to the PSU.

Archived