Corsair Community

Question, Concerned about Heatsink-Airflow Clarification and (h50)

Nightingale

I just recently purchased this case as I was litterry stunned by it's beauty, elegance and features. Considering I was going to originally buy another Lian Li case to replace my Old Lian li pc-75 that ought to say quite abit about how impressive Corsairs new case appears to be. Also Corsairs name/Reputation is strong in this industry and that certainly played a role in my decision to take the plunge into a high end case made by a company who has no prior experience manufacturing cases. My case should arrive Jan 5 2010.

1 Problem though. I have become serioulsy concered about air flow, it seems this case was desinged for watercoolers first and air second. I do not nesscarsly have a problem with this so as long as air cooling still works well. However it seems everywhere I read people are posting problems with high temps.

Now it seems one of the solutions is to reverse the back outtake fan so as to bring cold air in directly to the coolers. This seems to work wonders for those using a Corsair H50. What about us Guys with massive heat-sinks like the Vendetta 2 or Thermalights? Does reversing the back fan work well for these? Thing is the vendetta 2 I have can cool just as well as the H50 but in this Corsair Case it looks as if that will not be the case. I really do not want to have to spend an additional $90 for the H50, especially after I paid $300 for this case.

I do plan on replacing the included bottom intake fan with something that pushes more air into the case while remaining semi quite, as well as adding 3 Top exhaust fans.

So fellow Obsidian 800D owners, what is your take on this issue? Any input or suggestions are more than welcome and please feel free to correct any misunderstandings I might have about case temps, airflow heatsink compatibility etc...

I just got all of my taxes together and am going to file as soon as eFile opens up. I am planning on buying this case as well and have been poking around the web because of the same concerns. It sure seems like the lower left portion of the main area is going to be very stagnant.

I am buying two XFX 5870s or 5970s so there will be some major heat in this area. Is anyone running air with Crossfire 5970s or SLI 295s that can comment on temperature? I am thinking that I may have to mod the side panel to add a large fan or an array of fans as I do not intend on liquid cooling. The large plexy side panel with nothing on it almost looks like Corsair is begging people to cut in to it.

I have also seen in the reviews that CPU temperatures are much higher with this case than with some other cases. The cable management almost instantly sold me but I have an overclocked C0 920 which runs hot. I have a TRUE in push pull which keeps it pretty cool but if someone could comment on air cooling with adding the three top exhaust fans the info would be appreciated.

Hey there :)

I am using 2 HD5970'S in crossfire in my case & cooling my cpu using an H50.

Its all fitted in a 800D case.

Both cards never go up over 70 degrees c under load & they idle at around 40 degrees c.

My cpu is not overclocked & idles at 28 degrees & never goes over 50 degrees under load.

I have 3 120mm fan mounted in the roof of the case pulling air out & a 140mm fan at the bottom of the case pulling air in.

The H50 is mounted on the rear of my case in a push/pull config pulling cold air in, I did try it mounted in the roof of the case pulling air out but my cpu temps went up by 10 degrees.

Hope this helps, my photos are in the case gallery of my setup so have a look if you like?

By the way the HD5870'S are running at stock.

Cheers

That does help. Anyone who wants the direct link to his post, it is http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=433350#post433350

I am thinking three of these, http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8750/fan-536/Yate_Loon_140mm_x_25mm_UV_Reactive_LED_Fan_-_UV_Blue_D14SL-124UB.html, to replace the stock fans and six of these, http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6175/fan-345/Yate_Loon_120mm_x_25mm_UV_Reactive_LED_Fan_-_UV_Blue_D12SL-124UB.html, to add to the case and replace the two fans that I am currently using on my TRUE in push pull. I figure that should increase airflow enough and if it doesn't than I am chopping up the window to add either an array of the 140s I linked or adding this, http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5306/fan-260/250mm_Silent_LED_Case_Fan_-_Black_Frame_-_Blue.html, to the side panel but I don't think that the cover will match well so I would prefer not to have anything clash with such a beautiful case.

Is there enough room above your cards to add 25mm or 30mm deep fans without hitting the cards?

I am at work at present when I get home later i will check to see what the clearance is between the horizontal edges of the ati's & the internal face of the side panel, thats if I can measure it as accurate as possible.

Cheers

Hey there :)

I am using 2 HD5970'S in crossfire in my case & cooling my cpu using an H50.

Its all fitted in a 800D case.

Both cards never go up over 70 degrees c under load & they idle at around 40 degrees c.

My cpu is not overclocked & idles at 28 degrees & never goes over 50 degrees under load.

I have 3 120mm fan mounted in the roof of the case pulling air out & a 140mm fan at the bottom of the case pulling air in.

The H50 is mounted on the rear of my case in a push/pull config pulling cold air in, I did try it mounted in the roof of the case pulling air out but my cpu temps went up by 10 degrees.

Hope this helps, my photos are in the case gallery of my setup so have a look if you like?

By the way the HD5870'S are running at stock.

Cheers

What PSU are you using?

• 1 month later...

Archived