Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 and unstable TR3X6G1600C8D

SleazyC

I just put together an i7 box earlier in the week and am having problems getting my RAM stable at 1600MHz and running Memtest86+ without any errors.

When I leave my RAM at the default of 1066MHz I have no problems in the OS but I do get several errors when running memtest86+. When I bump up my RAM to 1600MHz using XMP I get infrequent restarts in the OS and also get the same errors in memtest86+. I tried manually setting RAM voltages, CPU voltage, and QPI and get some interesting results. When setting the RAM multiplier to 12, QPI voltage to 1.335V, CPU voltage to 1.27V and DRAM voltage to 1.64V I can successfully complete the memtest86+ test that generates errors. The problem is that when I boot into Windows 7 I restart usually within minutes. My hunch is that the QPI voltage is causing problems because when using XMP and other defaults I have no problems but the QPI is usually around 1.2ish range.

I have yet to test individual sticks of RAM but was wondering if I could maybe get some advice before I took that step.

For me a 120mm fan with 1200 UPM closely mounted to the memory helped after trying almost everything (even trying two completely new 12GB-kits). I am curious if this would also help in your case. Just temporarily mount it very close (approx. 5cm) to the RAM-modules with its axis pointing towards the center of the RAM-modules. I put mine below the RAM above the graphics card blowing upwards so that it presses the hot air between the RAM-modules upwards. Its worth a try. Good luck.

Archived