Corsair Community

Questions about OC ram

element72

What do people mean when they say keep the cpu and ram at 1:1? wHAT does that mean exactly?

Also someone told me earlier to set my ram settings to what it shows on the label. I know how to do this, but there's an extra setting at the end called tRC, and what do I set that too? I can easily set the ram to 4-4-4-12-? but what is the "?" and after tRC the next setting is address mode [auto, 1t, 2t] what do i set that to?

this is the ram I just bought. http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWIN2X2048-6400C4.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

When people say "keep the CPU and ram at 1:1" they mean try to keep the CPU speed the same as the RAM's speed (FSB200MHz)(Multiplier 12) = (2400MHz CPU speed), don't be confused with the FSB speed. The FSB speed is quad pumped because it's working with an Intel processor. and the ram you have says 800Mhz but DDR2 is double pumped so it's really 400mhz, but DDR2 works at 2XFSB so your system by default is currently running at 1:1 ratio, so you don't have to worry about that unless you want to start overclocking. Your current mobo has FSB speeds capable of 1066, 800, 533 so if you were to overclock you could get a pretty good OC if the given hardware is up to it. I have good confidence in your setup.

As for the memory timings They go like this CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS, tRC = tRAS + CAS + 2.

As for the address mode 2t is usually anyone who has more than 2 sticks of memory. You'd use 1t if otherwise at the cost of stability but you'd probably set little higher benchmarks. If it was me I'd set it at 2t and never touch it, a little bit of performance with loss of stability is never a gain for me.

Archived