Latency 5-5-5-12

Voltage 1.9V

Heat Spreader Yes

Recommend Use High Performance or Gaming Memory

The one I just bought

Memory Type DDR2

Memory Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)

Memory Speed DDR2-800 (PC2-6400)

Supply Voltage 1.8 Volts (I'm holding it in my hand and it says 2.1v)

CAS Latency 4

Latency 4-4-4-12

Buffered/Unbuffered Unbuffered

Error Correction Code Non-ECC

Memory Slot 240-pin DIMM

Memory Heatsink Black XMS2 Heat Spreader

Manufacturer Warranty Lifetime Limited Warranty

The one I was suppose to buy

Memory Type DDR2

CAS Latency 5

Latency 5-5-5-18

Memory Slot 240-pin DIMM

Memory Heatsink Heat Spreader

hello, no need to double post as most of us regulars scan all the forums.

ok you bought some nice CAS4 RAM that should work fine, just set the voltage to 2.1v and timings correctly in the bios and place the RAM in the correct slots to automatically enable dual channel capability. (check your boards manual to see which slots to populate)

CAS4 RAM is slightly faster than CAS5 so the stuff you did buy is "better" than what you wanted to buy.

FYI dont mix the old RAM and the new sticks you just bought.

have fun!!

hello, no need to double post as most of us regulars scan all the forums.

ok you bought some nice CAS4 RAM that should work fine, just set the voltage to 2.1v and timings correctly in the bios and place the RAM in the correct slots to automatically enable dual channel capability. (check your boards manual to see which slots to populate)

CAS4 RAM is slightly faster than CAS5 so the stuff you did buy is "better" than what you wanted to buy.

FYI dont mix the old RAM and the new sticks you just bought.

have fun!!

When you said change the voltage to 2.1v and correct the timings, are you referring to my old ram?

If so, should the timings be 4-4-4-12

The one I just bought

Memory Type DDR2

Supply Voltage 1.8 Volts (I'm holding it in my hand and it says 2.1v)

CAS Latency 4

Latency 4-4-4-12

Memory Slot 240-pin DIMM

Memory Heatsink Black XMS2 Heat Spreader

the set you just bought.

the set you just bought.

ok so let me clarify: You want me to set the voltage (my new sticks) to 1.95v and the timings to 5-5-5-18?

it says here it was tested at those timings from JEDEC here: http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWIN2X2048-6400C4.pdf

If this is correct so far, the only difference between the new one and the old one now would be the last digit. The old one would remain at 5-5-5-12 and the new one would be slowed down to 5-5-5-18. Is this right so far?

forget about the old ones, use them as bookmarks or butterknives. you cannot use them anymore with the new RAM you JUST BOUGHT!!

the new sticks you JUST BOUGHT need to be installed in the correct slots to enable DC mode (as per your motherboard's manual) and the voltage properly set in the BIOS (2.1v) as per the NEW STICKS label and the timings set to 4,4,4,12 AS PER THE LABEL.

I'm sorry, I fail to see where I was unclear. hopefully this post will clarify my intended advice.

good luck.

forget about the old ones, use them as bookmarks or butterknives. you cannot use them anymore with the new RAM you JUST BOUGHT!!

the new sticks you JUST BOUGHT need to be installed in the correct slots to enable DC mode (as per your motherboard's manual) and the voltage properly set in the BIOS (2.1v) as per the NEW STICKS label and the timings set to 4,4,4,12 AS PER THE LABEL.

I'm sorry, I fail to see where I was unclear. hopefully this post will clarify my intended advice.

good luck.

Really? because I was going to generate 3gb by adding the 2gb(2x1gb). With this set up I have are you claiming I can't use dual channel like that? can you explain why? IS it because dual channel is only intended for 2 slots not 4?

Is there a way how i can tell if DC is automatically configured.

It's never recommended to mix memory of different part numbers / version numbers / sizes / latencies / voltages or ICs. Too many variables come into play, and memory controllers just don't like mixing them. You can try it, but to get it stable you'll most likely have to run the memory at a lower speed and higher timing.

Mixing RAM is never officially supported nor is it ever suggested.

dual channel mode IIRC will support 4 sticks providing all four Corsair sticks were PURCHASED as a set of four in an individual package. (and supported by your motherboard as well as listed in the compatibility database linked on the left)

any other configuration you may try will have no official support and likely never run at listed frequency or timings.

its kinda like mixing oranges with tangerines, they just dont taste the same.

lol, Wired, you beat me to it AGAIN!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought 2x1024 CM2X1024 -6400 2.1v ver6.3 -4-4-4-12 800MB

1024MB. In my present machine EXACTLY the same Except that version 2.1v. Four sticks did not work. Took out existing two sticks and used new sticks in the same sockets as existing i.e A1 & B1

Is it just the version that's wrong?

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived