Corsair Community

H50 radiator and fan configuration

giskard

The instructions specify that the fan should be used to push air from outside the case, through the radiator into the case, or, as mentioned on Corsair's blog, a pair of identical fans can be used in a push-pull configuration to push cool air thru the rad and pull the warm air from the other side of the rad into the case.

Because of there's no dust filter on the rear exhaust fan of my case I didn't want to use the rear 120mm fan as an intake but as an exhaust (otherwise dust will build up on the rad and inside the case) but I understand that cooling performance will suffer somewhat.

Soooo, what if I mount the rad directly to the case and mount the 120mm fan to the rad so that it's blowing air from inside the case, over the rad which exhausts heat (via convection) outside the case?

Any comments?

BTW, the case is a P193

Of course, to do what I'm proposing would require me getting shorter screws and perhaps some rubber washers for the job. Unless Corsair decide to supply them?

;):

Why?If you use the fan as an intake or exhaust the screws are still the same.And if you add another fan for push pull those screws are the same size to mount the fan.

Why?If you use the fan as an intake or exhaust the screws are still the same.And if you add another fan for push pull those screws are the same size to mount the fan.

If I attach the radiator directly to the case I can't use the supplied screws as they'll pierce the radiator fins, hence I'd need shorter ones, say 10mm long.

I'd then use the Corsair-supplied screws to attach the cooling fan to the other side of the rad in order to blow air through it and out of the case.

Because of my case (a P193) I can't fit two fans to the rad in a push-pull config, hence my original suggestion.

• 3 weeks later...
If I attach the radiator directly to the case I can't use the supplied screws as they'll pierce the radiator fins, hence I'd need shorter ones, say 10mm long.

I'd then use the Corsair-supplied screws to attach the cooling fan to the other side of the rad in order to blow air through it and out of the case.

Because of my case (a P193) I can't fit two fans to the rad in a push-pull config, hence my original suggestion.

It makes no difference if the fan is sucking air thru the radiator or pushing air.Just mount fan first then radiator.

Archived