Corsair Community

4x1gb Dominator PC8500 issue

Acuta

Current system specs in dropdown.

I built this machine with the intent of running W7 64bit. It wasn't out yet, and now that it is, I can't yet afford to upgrade. SO, as an alternative, I asked Santa for 2x1gb Dominator to go with my existing 2gb as I have been sluggish using Blender as well as MMO gaming. I recieved my 2x1gb from Santa (I musta been a good boy?).

I installed the 2nd pair of DIMM and the system started fine, but said I only had 1gb of system memory? I proceeded to make sure the new RAM was Ok by swapping old for new. System booted, showed 2gb RAM. Swapped sticks from 1,3 to 2,4 to make sure DIMM slots were ok. System booted, showed 2gb RAM.

Just for giggles, tried mixing up the sticks. Failed to boot (not surprised at that result).

Having read the PDF Doc here on the forums, I see one of 2 issues being present:

Scenario 1: I need to up my controller voltage to go 4-up. This is fine, and even know where to find it in BIOS, but I do NOT want to mess with it unless I know a viable range. Frying my motherboard would make me cry.

Scenario 2: Both sets are model CM2X1024-8500C5D, however, the old set is version 5.1, new set is version 4.3. Could this be an issue with otherwise the exact same make/model?

Thank you

I have done some more reading and have turned my MCH up to 1.35v (started at 1.3v) and DRAMv to 2.0 (went under 2.1v rating just in case). Nothing has changed. I DID find that if I put the v4.3 into slots 1,3 with the v5.1 in slots 2,4 I got a no-boot situation. I am starting to believe the version is the issue. Care to tell me how I am suppose to buy RAM online (about the only good way these days) when NO ONE puts the firmware version in the description?? I know, I looked all over the web. Both at retail vendors as well as online-only vendors. No one (that I found) lists it. Still not sure how to turn the frequency down on the RAM, I have never tried OCing RAM for just this reason.

• 4 weeks later...
Correct, never recommended to mix versions (as they contain different ICs which the CPU's memory controller won't like).

Crap, I wish I knew about mixing versions before I got a second pair. RMA'ing my v1.1 while my v6.1 still works :(:

Guess I'll try to sell both sets and get a 4GB kit or start thinking about a new build.

Crap, I wish I knew about mixing versions before I got a second pair. RMA'ing my v1.1 while my v6.1 still works :(:

Guess I'll try to sell both sets and get a 4GB kit or start thinking about a new build.

If you already have them, it certainly won't hurt to try it. Although, due to the load on the memory controller, you may not get them to run at a full 1066.

• 3 months later...

Archived